Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, A local fisherman here in California recommended I troll "tube Flies" on our lake for trout. I never heard of them before. Did some reseaech on line so I know what they look like. However, I would like a to know what is the theory and benefit behind their design an use. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Almost any fly tied on a hook can be done on a tube. The hook is mounted in a "holder" or slightly larger tube at the back to hold the fly in the correct position. When the fish hits, the fly slides up the leader out of the way; no leverage and it saves the fly for further, continued use. The tube at the back also helps prevent short strikes. There are several good books on them, namely Tube Flies by Mark Mandel and Les Johnson and Tube Flies, Two by Mark Mandel and Bob Kenly. The first has a historical perspective while the second spends more on specific flies, tyers, and materials. Both are very good if you want to get into tying and fishing tube flies.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Amen to that. I also didn't mention that they travel better since you can carry them hookless anywhere and get suitable hooks at your destination. Some countries don't allow hooks in your carry-on bagage and checked bags can get misdirected.

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts
If you break off a fish, or have to cut the leader because he's got it in the gullet, all that's left is the hook which is usually shorter, not a big gob of wings, lead eyes, etc. The fish can still eat and breathe. When releasing, the tube is slid up the leader, which makes it really easy to remove the hook, without damaging your fly pattern I use tubes for better than 90% of my salt water patterns, and they generally last for dozens of fish, after which I'll often replace tail material, and recycle them again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.