Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
My brother fished the tucannon on the opener. He's not exactly the most technically knowledgable fly fisher in the world, but he managed to catch a lot of trout in the 8-12" range. My guess is he caught all of his fish on 2 flies: tan elk hair caddis and an orange stimulator because those are the the only two patterns he EVER uses.

He looks in my fly boxes and cringes. I think he must be streamer-fobic. :dunno

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I'm going to open my big mouth and probably put my foot in it on fishing in the Tucannon. Since there are steelhead in the small river what are those small trout they are catching. Are they plants or something else. It just seems that we on the wet side get accused of fishing for them small fish when we actually aren't. Ok I will say it,Smolts.

Jim

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well, first off my standard disclaimer...I have not fished it in years, but when I lived in Kennewick, used to fish it a bunch. Access is easy in town, the fish are there. The forest has good access, although creek gets pretty small, has bows as well as bull trout. Through the farms you can access it at the bridges, now this is probably all private property, I always respected the "No" signs, but every farmer said to go right ahead and fish. Flies....most any dry will get you a lot of action. The browns are not laying out in the open. They will often be in very shallow fast water. A small weighted #12 nymph will work wonders. I am a bit anal on the subject of leader, in small cricks I use a real short leader, 5' or so, and an indicator most times on the Touchet. Having your indicator closer to your fly is a big advantage. Have fun!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Your brother seems like he is very efficient! Why waste time figuring out what is going on. Two choices, yes or no. Go for the choice and do it. It sounds like he is an accountant. If it works what the heck. I could use a lot of that lol!
Dave

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
RiverFishing

As far as the Tucannon goes, I'll have to defer to the voices of greater experience. I had one brisk day last August up near the lakes and although caught lots of fish, none exceeded 10 inches. As to questions as to what's in there, I think the hatchery releases some rainbows but I'd guess many of the "rainbows" are, as Jim suggests, smolts.

I've spent more time on the Touchet, since it's somewhat closer, and I can mention a couple of spots, but would heartily recommend contacting or stopping by the Clearwater Fly Shop in Kennewick. The father & son proprietors fish both waters a great deal and can offer you more than I.

As regards the Touchet, I understand it hasn't been stocked for about five years, as efforts are concentrated on restoring it as a steelhead fishery. So the "trout" are actually smolt and usually take nymphs, stimulators, and woolie buggers in black or olive quite readily. Same story, as CWU's brother experienced, on the Tucannon.

Another source for info on the Tucannon is the Last Resort, a camping store at the head of the valley.

Two spots I've fished with reasonable success on the Touchet are the area entered below a railroad trestle behind Prescott HS off Rt. 124. A second involves a bridge about three miles beyond Waitsburg where you can get in at a bridge crossing on Rt. 124 about 1/2 mile prior to Lewis & Clark State Park. Head downriver in both cases.

The disclaimer here...I'm far from an expert yet but hope by this time next year to know more. I'd really recommend Clearwater Fly Shop for more and better info. They're at (509) 582-1001.

Mike

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I have also fished the Tucannon,my earilier post was a question but now it is about fishing. I had a article about the two rivers that I got out of the Seattle Times so I took a couple of days off and went over there. Fished the river up in the woods and down by the mouth. Had the best time up in the woods. Was using mainly Elk Hair Caddis, a few Royal Wulff's and a few humpies. Lots of fish but all on the small size. I also fished a few of the small lakes on the Tucannon. They can also be a source of fun. Of course this was a few years ago and have not been back. It's a long drive from Marysville to Dayton. Close to both places.

Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
I fished the Tucannon all winter for steelhead and then fished Big Four Lake a bunch until the the rivers opened up. The trout on the Tucannon are going to be smolt for the most part. They do not stock the rivers around here except for the hatchery steelhead smolt they turn loose. If you want to target the bull trout, you have to go high enough on the river that the water is nice and cold. Bull trout, from my experience, never take dry flies. I have always caught them on a crawdad pattern or a nymph. As for fishing dries, there have been stone flies hatching so I have been primarily been fishing a #6 stone fly pattern for rainbows. I have been using a pretty heavy tippet because I like to go up higher and the water is fast and the bull trout can be big as people have to turn them loose and they get a chance to grow to a decent size. A short leader is an excellent idea, if you want to catch any of the bigger fish up there, they are usually in some pretty small deep holes that are a real challenge to cast to (lots of tree limbs, tree roots, little water falls where everything is covered by brush).

If you want to fish a lake on the Tucannon, Big Four can be a lot of fun. If nothing else you can sit there and look at big trout that are smarter than the average fish. When I was fishing Big Four earlier, the only thing hatching were midges. Small flies around size #20 worked for me, and thanks to a tip from Old Man I tied up some Griffith's Gnats and on certain days they worked awsome. You may not have to fish such small dries up there now. Several of the times I fished Big Four the trout were keying in on emergers. On those days a real light nymph fished a couple of inches under the surface worked the best. But beware, the last few times I went up there the fish were getting leary. If your dry didn't land nice and soft, if any droplets of water from your fly or line hit the water by the fish, they will take off.

As for the Touchet, I have primarily fished it lower down for Small mouth bass. Crawdad patterns and any sort of decent sized streamer will catch some pretty good small mouth. There are Brown trout up higher on the Touchet, but access is a real problem. A freind of mine had a cop and a game warden waiting at his car last time he went up. So, if you want to fish on some private land, ask first or you are very likely to get a hefty trespassing fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.