Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to this board, I want to thank all of you who respond so generously to the questions of new fly-fisherman like myself. I have been fly fishing only about a year and the more I get into this sport the more you realize just how much there is to learn. I live in Spokane when I am not in school, so currently I am home on Christmas break and wanted to take a shot at steelhead (or trout) on this side of the mountains. I prefer smaller streams to larger ones so I am planning to take a trip to the Tucannon this Sunday and fish it for a couple of days. Never having been there before, I would appreciate any information regarding the best stretches of water to fish (for steelhead), patterns, type of line I should use, etc... I am very new to fly fishing for steelhead (only have done it once before) so your help will be most appreciated. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Dave

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Tuc is one of my favorite east side rivers, but not for winter steelies, however I have caught a few inadvertantly with large black stonefly nymphs sunk into deep pools and channels. There are a few upstream of Marango, though I hear steelie fishing is better near starbuck but I don't know anything about access. I'm sure others on this site can provide advice on what type of gear and bugs to use, but my guess is the standard fare would do. The river is not running very high (about 106 cfs) so wading should be good and you could probably get by with a floating line or moderae sink tip with split shot for deeper holes. As for the regulations check them over, don't know what allowed this time of year. I fished the river in Dec. a few years ago for trout with moderate success. Good luck.

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

I was over there once and fished the river where ever I could gain access. Most farmers will let you cross over their land just as long as you close each gate as you come to it. At least that's how it was when I was there. I fished it in the mountains and down on the flats. Caught mostly smaller fish up high and when I went to fish low the water was dirtyed up so I couldn't fish it. Only spent a few days there.

Jim

·
Registered
126 Posts
This bulletin board is the only place I have ever heard the term "banjos". Last time it was used it caused offence to one of our members. Let's cut out ALL the perjorative, sexist, racist, and otherwise offensive language.

Joe

·
Registered
156 Posts
yeah you are right and I am not a racist and I apologize.
last time I was in starbuck some guy was kicking the hell out of his dog and there was trash around the river. It gave me a negative opinion of the place but I am sure there are plenty of quality people, fishing and hunting there as well as some cool basalt pillars randomly living in fields--cool. The geologic history is interesting there.

good luck on the fly--ya'll
Mcronariver

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was fishing a bit lower than starbuck a couple of years ago and i found left-overs of a meth lab. Empty buckets and a ammonia tarnished propane tank. I talked to a BLM ranger (the lower section of that river is all BLM land)and he had me show him this and he did the whole crime scene stuff with photos and all. He said that meth makers like to work by rivers cuz they can dump the toxic sludge and get rid of the evidence. Just a thought... next time you bite into a trout from the tucannon!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi dude
I don,t know much about the Tucannon either. I have been to a spot near Marango tht had acces and there were a couple of holes to try. I was taken there by a friend to hunt but its one of those spots I can only recongize and not describe. I would think leach paterns might work well
Good Luck let us know how you do:thumb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.