Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard quite abit about the tucannon on the forum lately. I going home to Clarkston WA for my spring break and was wondering if there are a lot of fish in there or if they are pretty hard to come by. I think i'm going to fish it a couple of the days while i'm home(march 24th through 28th). If anyone wants to hook up let me know. What size/color egg patterns are being used?

Brad

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Probably wont be a whole lot of steelhead by that time, but you never know with this wacko weather we are having. The last steeli I saw or heard of in there this winter/spring was a few weeks ago. You can always call the tackle shop in Starbuck and inquire there?? I think its called Darver Tackle?? I could look tonight and make sure if you'd like.

My suggestion would be: follow the snake south and then explore the bigger waters of its tributaries....or you could head to the SF of the clearwater cause its producing HUGE fish ..... then again it all depends on what the weather does cause all this rain/snow has wasted the rivers and the fish are fairly quiet right now.... plus the water levels are so high its very difficult, if not impossible, to fly fish them :reallymad

Drop me an email if its after March 21st that you will be down there and maybe we could hook up for some fishing??

good luck

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
351 Posts
I am very interested to hear other responses to the Tucannon also, since I'm going over there this weekend, and the Toucannon is on my list depending on whether I think it may be in shape and have some steelies around. I'm also thinking about the Touchet, since I'll be staying at the in-laws in Waitsburg.:hmmm

·
Registered
85 Posts
Never got any Steelhead when I fished them but I enjoyed many a day taking trout while trying. Its been a couple of years since i fished them much and I usually like to fish them in June but I landed a 28 inch Dolly in the Tucannon one day and a 26 inch brown on the Touchet on another in the early spring. You can also have some fun with whitefish.

Access can be a problem but ask and be surprised. There are salty fish but I never managed to hook up.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I fished the Tucannon twice in last week for steelhead and landed 3 while having a fourth break me off after an extended fight. I am not an experienced steelhead fisherman so I cannot tell you what you might expect later in March, but my experience in the first week or so of March was excellent. There was lots of steelhead in the river, and most were still in good condition. It is a smaller stream so locating the fish did not seem to be as difficult as it might be on a bigger river. When I fished there, I saw fish in all of the obvious places, and some places I did not expect to find any. The fish I caught were all pretty good sized fish (29-33 inches) and they all took pink egg patterns (8-10). I tried other patterns such as egg sucking leeches, buggers, green butted skunks, etc, with no success. I'd call the people at Darver Tackle in Starbuck for assistance. They were very friendly and were able to offer advice on where to fish. If you go, let us know how you do. It is a great little river which I think you will have a blast fishing. I know I did. Good luck.

Dave

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, Thanks everyone for the help. I definately let you all know how i did. I just got an email back from a fly shop in Lewiston ( Twin River Anglers). Joe the owner knows his stuff and he said that there are usually a lot of fish in there in the spring. I just hope I can one to take my fly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.