Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
What is it with the Japanese? Much to admire about the country, arts and culture, but they sure, in my mind at least, fail when it comes to facing the facts as they relate to whales and tuna................
Admire? :rolleyes:

We're talking about the Japan that repeatedly runs out of resources every 50 - 100 years and starts killing everything in site right? I don't care how pretty their silk robes are or how old their tempels are. All that makes them are a bunch of assholes with decorative old stuff.

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
"Don't it always seem to go,
that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot."

- Joni Mitchell

K

·
Registered
357 Posts
Too many politics influence making decisions like this these days. The commercial and sport harvest for Bluefin needs to be shut down because these fish are in a shitload of trouble, not because the US is "Japan bashing" (a term I saw in the news the other day).

G

·
I watched a show on PBS not to long ago that proved there are hundreds of thousands of Bluefin in the open Atlantic. The reason they didn't know they where there is because biologist never thought of looking there, as Bluefin typically don't live out there.

The biologists are stumped on why they have migrated so far.....hmm, maybe because they're getting their ass kicked in Japan!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alot of crazy shit going on over there! that's for sure.If you ever get a chance check out a movie called The Cove....see what they've been doing with the dolphins,and most people over there don't even know it's going on.This one will get your hackles up.
Jim.

·
Not Politically Correct
276 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
As much as Japan bashing might be cathartic (for some), I would like to remind folks that exploiting fisheries to the point of collapse is nothing "we" (nation/culture/society) haven't mastered ourselves.

I would point you in the direction of NOAA Fisheries deciding to end the aggressive spill over LSR dams in favor of running our 2009-2010 El Nino snow pack (50% of normal) through the turbines to generate power...

So the japanese are protective of their lucrative sushi markets and we (the BPA/USACE/Senator Murray, Senator Cantwell, NOAA, you and I) just can't wean ourselves off of Cheaper than Dirt energy we sell to California on the backs of our steel and salmon.

Without a fundamental shift away from the idea that ALL of us are entitled to make bag-fulls of money at the expense of our ownerless rivers, mountains and seas, the great bluefins are going to go the way of the passenger pigeons, the polar bear, the Snake River coho salmon, et al...

"It's not that we don't know
It's just that we don't want to care.
Under the bridges
Over the foam
Wind on the water
Carry me home."

- Crosby, Stills, Nash

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.