Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting to the time of year, actually a bit past, when plans need to be kicked around for fly rod tuna this summer/fall. I have my preference on port and charter but am open to fishing wherever/whenever we can put crews together. I only got out once last year and even though it was far and away the best fly trip I've had, I'm hoping to get out multiple times this year. I can't do a fly fishing charter by myself so you guys tell me where, when, and how you want to chase tuners with bug sticks.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
How much is a charter typically? Using 12wts?
It varies with the operator, boat, and crew size. They are all essentially a flat rate for the whole boat that gets divided among the clients. I'd say plan on $350 at the minimum and up. Of course, bringing home 50+ pounds of fresh albacore loins does offset some of the cost. And yes, you'll want a decent quality 12wt and a reel with a smooth drag and lots of backing. Until last year I would have said 300 yards was plenty - but maybe not during an El Nino with a warm water blob offshore.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Already booked. I use Red Sky Charters in Warrenton, OR. I've been out with the boat at least five times for Albacore as well as crabbing twice, bottom fishing, and salmon for Kings and Silvers a couple of times. The rates are reasonable and the Captain (Chuck) is very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Already booked. I use Red Sky Charters in Warrenton, OR. I've been out with the boat at least five times for Albacore as well as crabbing twice, bottom fishing, and salmon for Kings and Silvers a couple of times. The rates are reasonable and the Captain (Chuck) is very knowledgeable.
I like Chuck and have fished with him several times. There are pluses and minuses to every charter and overall I think there are a number of advantages with Red Sky. Cost is reasonable, you get a good night's sleep at the lodge, and he puts you on the fish. That's a tough combination to beat.

He has a set routine though, which might not appeal to everyone. Not saying that's a bad thing. It's more of an apples and oranges comparison based on personal preference. I would fish with him again, but right now I'm trying to work out some alternative fly fishing techniques that fit better with a smaller boat/crew and drift techniques (chumming dead bait a.k.a "chunking") more commonly practiced in the private sport fleet and some smaller charters. All that said, Red Sky would be a good choice for someone just looking to get out and experience tuna either on the fly or with gear.

Edit: Another advantage to the smaller boats/crews is they are also better suited to run-and-gun type fishing. Partly because they are typically faster, but fewer fishermen also means more shots casting up front. Again, not saying one type of charter is superior, just that there are trade offs. The flip side for bigger boats like the Bewitched (Red Sky) is that they are less likely to have weather cancellations and carry a lot more live bait which greatly increases the odds for a "wide open bite" scenario.

The bottom line is that albacore are amazing fish however you catch them (Chuck with one of my first fly rod tuna).

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,857 Posts
What is the going rate these days for a non resident Oregon license to fish Tuna and maybe crabs?
SF

Reactions: SilverFly

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
If you fish out of Warrenton, there is no need for a Oregon License. Area 1 is co-managed by Washington and Oregon so your Washington License is valid. It's the same for salmon; something in the agreements but I'm not sure exactly of it. If you wish to crab, however, you must purchase an Oregon shell fish license which is less than ten bucks for a three day.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you fish out of Warrenton, there is no need for a Oregon License. Area 1 is co-managed by Washington and Oregon so your Washington License is valid. It's the same for salmon; something in the agreements but I'm not sure exactly of it. If you wish to crab, however, you must purchase an Oregon shell fish license which is less than ten bucks for a three day.
Good point. I believe tbe opposite also applies to Oregon license holders fishing out of Ilwaco. As I understand Columbia River ports are common ground so to speak.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
The co-management of area one is a very positive step by the two states. One never knows when they've strayed into the other's waters so too many fishermen were being penalized. I'm not sure of the status of waters but when you go out twenty miles or farther I seriously doubt whether state departments are out there taking notes so it's a better situation all-around.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,857 Posts
Annual non-resident license fees are $96.50 angling, and $26.00 shellfish. There is a 3-day non-res shellfish for $17.00 but might as well go the extra $9 for a full year.

ODFW License fees
Seems odd they don't offer any one two or three day non- resident fishing licenses, yet they offer a three day shellfish license
The shortest duration is seven days, which wouldn't get used up in my case.
I've been thinking about a tuna / dory trip combo weekend for this summer since we won't be fishing salmon much this year.
SF

Reactions: Thrasybulus

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have never fished albacore off the coast of OR/WA but know that the fish being around is subject to warm water currents offshore. How was/might this be affected by El Nino last year and likely La Nina this year?

Also, how hard is it to find the fish typically? My guess is that most of the charter captain's value add is in putting the boat over fish, but can this be done by an experienced fisherman without tuna specific experience? My friend's dad has a 24' center console grady white with twin 250s on the back here in Seattle...I'm wondering if it would be doable to trailer it and tow it out to Westport for a day of fishing or if we're too amateurish for that and it takes some expertise we don't have to be successful.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Seems odd they don't offer any one two or three day non- resident fishing licenses, yet they offer a three day shellfish license
The shortest duration is seven days, which wouldn't get used up in my case.
I've been thinking about a tuna / dory trip combo weekend for this summer since we won't be fishing salmon much this year.
SF
I purchased a non-res OR 2-day freshwater angling license last week on a work trip. $38

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.