Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm lookin for a source for tungsten beadheads in steelie colors, chartreuse, pink, orange, etc. my attempts to paint my own arent really workin out, the finish doesnt hold. and preppin them for paint is pretty ridiculous if i could just buy them....

cant find anything online so far.... thanks :beathead:

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,857 Posts
Sean,
What kind of paint are you currently using to paint the beads?

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nail polish with a clear coat. it doesnt hold like lead at all i was just painting some this morning. i think roughing up the bead before paint would really help but its tedious when you are talking about one bead at a time. if i cant find tungsten hot beads that just means i gotta wrap more lead.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Have you looked into the powder type paints used for jigs? This stuff is way stronger than nail polish and a lot easier to use. Its just a powder that turns into a glossy finish when heated. With jigs, you heat up the lead and dip it into the powder. Once its removed it cures pretty fast.

I know it bonds to lead really well, but I'm not sure about tungsten. You may be able to slip the beads onto a toothpick and dip it into the powder. If you want to get real fancy you can do a post cure in an oven for an hour or so, which will create an even stronger finish.

·
14,857 Posts
I agree painting one bead at a time is a pain in the ass.
The problem with hot beads is that they are painted with powder coat paint. You'll tie a nice fly and fish it. Before long, the bead looks like a chipped up piece of shit.
The best paint going for duability is vinyl paint, at least on lead. I don't see why it would work on a Tungsten bead.
White base coat, color then a clear top coat. You'll likely lose the fly before the bead ever chips.
Good luck with your search.

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tried to send you a PM but your box if full....

is this brush on or what??? you should send me a link to a source im not familiar with vinyl paints. hook me up sounds interesting.

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you looked into the powder type paints used for jigs? This stuff is way stronger than nail polish and a lot easier to use. Its just a powder that turns into a glossy finish when heated. With jigs, you heat up the lead and dip it into the powder. Once its removed it cures pretty fast.

I know it bonds to lead really well, but I'm not sure about tungsten. You may be able to slip the beads onto a toothpick and dip it into the powder. If you want to get real fancy you can do a post cure in an oven for an hour or so, which will create an even stronger finish.
alright, this sounds pretty legit. is there a particular company?? it made be worth the extra effort. at least it gives me something to do between fishing trips. thanks!

·
14,857 Posts

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think the CS product is the one I've used. Never used the vinyl, but the powder is easy to work with and has no fumes or mess. The jig heads I've coated with this can take a lot of abuse.

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
www.feather-craft.com sells painted tungsten beads in all the colors you wanted in a wide range of sizes all the way down to a 1/16" wich are great for tiny chironomid patterns and they even have them big enough for steelhead flies. These are the best that I have found.
NICE! saved the day. thanks man, just finished my order

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.