Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weekend before last I dusted off my old 70's vintage Fenwick glass rod and got out chasing some blue lines for dry fly action. The river I left home for was running slightly high, but clear and fishable. After some scrutiny I saw a fish or two rising along the edges for a sparse caddis hatch. Using a elk hair caddis, I explored what I could reach with minimal results. Fish were rising across river, but it was just slightly too high to cross safely. I left after an hour to explore new reaches of a freestone I figured would be more wadable. It was wadable, but I couldn't find a fish to save my life. I have really good action along this stretch in lower water, so the scouting trip was well worth it. I have three new spots along the lower west fork alone.
I went back to a section of the main river, above most of the run-off tribs that I hoped would prove better than the lower section. I waded through a promising run casting my elk hair with only one missed rise. I was reeling in to give up when I looked at the run I had just fished, only to see rises everywhere, right where I had just waded through. In the instant I had turned my back, a mayfly hatch popped off. Seconds after I declared a stretch fishless they popped up by the dozen. For just under an hour I enjoyed spectacular action on my favorite all-round mayfly pattern, the old school H.L. Variant. In the midst I even noticed huge hexes coming off the water. I tried hard to capture one for a pic, but they were scarce and stayed just out of reach. I landed just over a dozen small wild redbands on dries, one brookie, saw tons of nature including: deer, moose, eagles, one angry ass beaver, and a close up wolf track. I learned the next day they trapped a wolf in the same drainage the same day at 23 mile. I was at 30 mile when I got the grey wolf track.

Attachments

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
Nice report. I always enjoy reading a good report without the name of the water being spilled.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey triploidjunkie,

What's the story with those (3) large black and white moths in the 1st photo?
Are they moths? I was thinking monarchs. There was about a dozen,several were black and yellow. They all flew off execpt three when I clicked the shot. They where pretty though, even had a splash of blue on them

·
Registered
972 Posts
Does anyone on this thread remember "Hogan's Heroes" from way back when? I was born mid-70s and was a latchkey kid so I saw plenty of reruns.

At any rate, there was a short little Gestapo guy named Major Hochstettler or similar. He would be trying to meet with Colonel Klink, and Col. Hogan would always be around in just the right place, generally making the Nazis look incompetent. Hochstettler would start getting really frustrated and say "Who is dis man!?!" "Who is dis man!?!"

Out of sheer envy, that is what I want to say about TriploidJunkie :). Who is dis man!?! He fishes too much! His trip reports are too good! How does he maintain this seemingly perfect trout bum lifestyle while I toil away, fishing much more rarely than i'd like!?! I've even seen trip reports where he is with an attractive woman (I'm assuming his wife/girlfriend) who ALSO fishes. Are you kidding me? Who is dis man!?!

·
Just an Old Man
35,206 Posts
I saw a large Yellow and Black Butterfly in my yard the other day. It was about 4 inches wide at the wing tips. I should of got a picture of it But me being who I am didn't. It was attached to my outdoor spicket. So I put it on the fence so it could dry off and fly away which it did.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just one of the many benefits of being self-employed Brian. My waders rarely get a chance to completly dry out. Heres a few more pics from June so far. The crappy pic of the LMB is only posted because you can slightly see my favorite pattern, the Moorish mouse, in its gaping maw. Which reminds me, I need to tie some moore up. A pretty cut, though it was small. The big bow is a wild one I swung up Monday morning before work when I had an hour to kill. I thought it was a triploid, but was a native with some shoulders. He nearly hit my backing because the current was insanely strong there and he kept running with it downriver. I've been hitting the carp flats after work, and have hooked a couple, but no dice yet. Man those fish are a challenge sometimes.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Enlightened's first crappie from last night

Attachments

Reactions: Freestone

·
Donny, you're out of your element...
4,500 Posts
Who is dis man!?! He fishes too much! His trip reports are too good! How does he maintain this seemingly perfect trout bum lifestyle while I toil away, fishing much more rarely than i'd like!?! I've even seen trip reports where he is with an attractive woman (I'm assuming his wife/girlfriend) who ALSO fishes. Are you kidding me? Who is dis man!?!
These sorts of questions Triploidjunkie could answer, but you know he's going to have to probably kill you after that right? Man'd be a fool to confess his secrets on the internet...

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Awesome tj

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are tthe yellin
I was going to say owtail or viceroy, but when I looked at pictures to make sure, the wings didn't quite look the same to me.

Hogan's Heroes was awesome..."I know nothing."
I was going to say swallowtail or viceroy, but when I looked at pictures to make sure, the wings didn't quite look the same to me.

Hogan's Heroes was awesome..."I know nothing."
What are the yellow and black ones? They were all hanging out on the shore together. Like old man said about four inch wing span. All my life I've heard the big yellow and black ones refered to as monarchs.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry about above post. Stupid smart phone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.