Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I tie a few but will admit that some of what I use consistently are a PITA to tie, so I just don't. It works for me though, it gives me something to buy at the local fly shops along with beer and cigars.

I've several friends who've tried tying and quit because they find it more frustrating than enjoyable.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,853 Posts
For me, it depends on the pattern.
Things like small dries and parachutes, stimulators and hoppers, I go to a shop or Hill's website and buy them.
Just too time consuming for me anymore.

Saltwater, I like tying my own.
The main downside I see with buying flies is the ability to customize a pattern to your personal preferences.
SF

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
not tying your own flies is cheaper than tying your own.:(
But nowhere nearly as enjoyable. Amassing a lifetime of materials & harvesting other material yourself decreases cost-per-fly while enhancing satisfaction. Tying flies even supercedes my fly fishing passion at times as I grow older. I find it enjoyable, therapeutic, challenging, and easy all at once. While tying dozens of the same pattern can becoming boring, attempting new & more complex patterns is refreshing. Tying for my Nephew is a labor of love, plain & simple. I generally tie in sets of three no matter which/how many flies I am crafting - take a break, then return to the bench, but occasionally I'll just plop-down in the chair, tie or partially-construct a fly and move on. My vise & tools don't leave the bench until bird season; then they are put-away & the bench returns to shotgun-cleaning duty until bird season ends & the evolution repeats itself for the following year. 60-year-old traditions are difficult to disregard. And now I do believe I'm heading to the bench . . .

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
I used to tie my own flies. But in the last 10 years I really got lazy. It's easier to just buy a few of what I need. I also have a friend on here that ties me up flies. But I haven't needed to use his services lately. I have enough to last the rest of my life.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
One looks at roadkill differently when tying your own flies.
I have picked-up my share of Fox Squirrel tails from flattened previous owners, but now Hank has become proficient at catching the destructive little rascals. I've also been known to stop & pluck tail feathers from road-killed Pheasants.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.