Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Offset eye? What style jighead hooks are you using? You sure you don't have octopus hooks? I tie on jigheads, but mostly for gear fishing. BUT, I have used jighooks (non poured, just the bare hook) tied with eyes for steelhead and salmon fishing. Hasn't affected it much more then anything else. BUT, if you have a steelhead sized POURED jighead, hmmmmmm that may be a rough cast with a flyrod.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I tie on jig hooks. I llke the ones that slant forward and up, rather than straight up.
I wrap lead wire on them, in a ball, then soak that with CA glue. And end up
with the equivalent of a molded jig head....but done in a way that's easier to tie on.
The hook rides up. So they don't snag branches so quickly.

It's Saturday. Yesterday morning I left Belize. Got home in one day.
I had been fishing the jungle lagoons, for snook. baby tarpon and tuba (tooobah).
A tuba is jungle bluegill with a big bulge on its forhead. Jigs are the way to go for
tuba. Cast into the snags. Wait, slowly strip. Every once in a while you catch
a snook instead of a tuba. And boy is that fun.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I am talking about the pre-molded bass "tube" type jig heads. I was thinking about tying both small leaches and maybe even a crawdad pattern. I like the way the give the fly action, and also as pitt mentioned, the fact that they ride hook up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i use the premolded ones for trout but for steelies i found a lot of the pre-molded hooks aren't strong enough and bend too easily (possibly designed that way to pull out of snags) so I get good jig hooks and make my own. rarely would I employ streamer techniques for the retrieve but fish under an indicator or float with using a pin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.