Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Sage 282-3 SPL, and I need to but a line for it. I lawn casted the rod with a S.A. Mastery WF 3wt XPS last night and was impressed, even though the rod did not feel overloaded, I want to pick the brains of all the light line enthusiasts out there. This is the first 2wt I've owned and I'm not sure what to expect out of the casting and accuracy abilities of rods in the 0-1-2 class. My intentions for the rod are to fish spring creeks and lakes, with the latter being another quest in the beginning stages as well. I just get sick and tired of shops trying to sell you what they have on the wall every time you go in with a question, chances are that I'll buy a used line at first anyway (If anyone has one, let me know) to start since my "gear whore" lifestyle sucks me dry of all cash every time I find a killer deal. I know that some of you fish the SPL's specificaly, and your thoughts of the "Quiet Taper" lines from Sage would be welcome along with any oppinnions on lines for the light rods.:dunno
Thanks in advance,
Bryan

·
Registered
228 Posts
Both my spl's came with the quiet taper lines and they cast really well. They have since worn out and in the name of convenience, I replaced one with a rio spring creek line of some sort and the other with a wonderline. They cast about the same with these as well, so I don't think there is anything special about any of them. Bottom line: get whatever you get a deal on. Although I wouldn't recommend a distance line or a fast action taper like the riogrand for an spl.

I wouldn't think that would be a good lake rod for trout. They are not distance rods, although they can be cast quite a ways for their action. Try and work one in a float tube and you better have your stuff together to get any kind of distance out of it. Also, there is little availability for sinking lines on a 2 weight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased the same rod last year, and they originaly set me up with a 2 wt sage line that was suppose to be built for the rod. There was not enough body to the line, would not stop curling up and finally went to a 2wt Master WF, but I think that you would be better off with the 3wt, as if there is any wind at all, the 2wt is hard to cast in the wind. I plan to experiment further this year,in real fishing conditions, but it is clear that the rod/line combination is very critical with the Sage 282-3 SPL.

The 2 wt. Winston is a completly different story, seems to have a little more backbone.

John

G

·
I would recomend getting an SA 2 dt. for rods 2 and lighter, i personally like the extra soft touch of a DT. remeber, your more than likely not going ot cast this thing over 30 ft, atleast not to catch a fish. also, with a DT you can flip it around when one end is old, so you get two for the price of one.

G

·
Metalhead, I built up an IMX 7.5' 2wt. a while back that I use a Lamson 1.5 reel on. I started with a 2wt wf line but changed to a dt line after using it awhile. It is a joy and a delight to cast with so little weight and so much relative power. But I agree, it is useless on a lake. I use it for fishing a little mountain stream nearby where a long cast would be 30' and it is perfect for that. A 12" cutthroat on that rig is a microcosm of steelhead fishing on a real river. Long leaders aren't necessary for such tight fishing and the dt turns the fly over nicely in close quarters. I doubt if you will gain much by spending a lot on a high zoot line, long cast are probably not what you are looking for in a 2 wt anyway. As far as accuracy is concerned if you fish under the trees like I do you will quickly become very accurate and confident of hitting pocket water. I don't know if any of this helps but I do know you will enjoy catching fish on that new stick. Have fun, Ive

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have both the SA XPS and Sage Quiet taper and I will put my two cents in for the quiet taper. Both are good quality lines. However, on my sage SPL the quite taper performs much better. Good luck.

SB

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I picked up a new Orvis Wonderline DT2F for $25, including shipping. I'll let you know what I think after I get it loaded and try throwin' it. other than a couple of close-out Redington RS2's, I've never bought anything from them before. I have not thrown any of the Orvis lines myself, but the people who buy their products seem to like them. I guess we will just have to wait and see!:dunno

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
I like the Orvis Wonderlines allot. (Made by 3M/Scientific Angler), they have allot of mass and heft for their designations and a very slick coating. I like the Sage Quiet Tapers for the rod he has simply because they are designed to run and shoot a little lighter, and lay on the water a little softer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.