Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago they started selling sinking lines where the tip was heavier and would sink faster than the belly providing a more direct connection to the fly. SA calls them "Uniform sink". I have had several guys tell me they thought they caught more fish on the older lines where the belly would sink lower than the fly, some saying it helped keep the fly in the zone longer.

What do you think?

For stillwater fishing what sinking lines do you never leave home without?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I still use it. DENSITY COMPENSATED or uniform sink. I personally think I catch more with it than a wet cell which does form a belly, but it depends on the situations.
Wet cell is killer for weedy bottoms and specially rivers. DC you get a more level strip. I think DC is killer with leech, crayfish, and bait fish imitations, as well as nymphs. where Wet Cell seems better with the nymphs.
Just me though

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have used and own both. I think each has its purpose. Traditional full-sink lines (wet cell) obviously form a belly which I think keeps the fly in the same depth better using the countdown system. Uniform sinks on the other hand are useful when your searching the water column or are wanting to give the fly more of a jigging up-down motion. I prefer the uniform sink for deep water chironomid fishing. Working drop-offs from the shallow end is another situation where I prefer the uniform sink. For trolling and working specific depths & structure I stick with the standard sink. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get the uniform sink line. I've seen your fishing technique. You don't need a belly...
I think that answer makes more sense then anyhting else...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.