Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I don't think it's open

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
I asked about this one time and somebody gave me a good report. I forget who sent it my way. Yes it's open But it gets washed out a lot every summer when the snow melts. And I believe that it's all walking and no driving where the river runs into the lake.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I didn't catch anything, but it's a beautiful stream when clear, flowing through pristine subalpine terrain, and an easy hike with not much elevation gain. I even saw mountain goats not far above the river.

Reactions: constructeur

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
To expand a bit on Nooksack Mac's post. It is open under statewide general stream rules.

Remember that the Baker is located in the North Cascades and its stream hydrograph is typical of the streams in that area. That means that one can expect run-off (elevated flows) to run to about the first of August (the last couple years a bit different). Once the run-off ends typically the flow continue to drop; the result being by mid-August the Baker flows are down to the point where stream access (wading back and forth) is easier and trout holding areas are more easily discerned. On the flip side once stream temperatures drop into the mid-40s the trout fishing slows down. This all means in a typical year there is about a 6 week window where exploring the river is the most productive.

A pretty stream in a spectacular location that some trout and if one enjoys poking around news water one capable of providing a interesting day.

Curt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.