Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I returned from camping near Salmon La Sac.
The river is very low, clear and easy to wade.
My attempts to find a trout was unsuccessful. No splashes no visual presence of the fish. Other 2 fishermen I met didn't catch anything too.
But there are lot of whitefish in 3-5ft deep pools. I found a "killer pool" with dosens of them and some looks pretty good (12-15")
I tried to fish for them with small nymphs sus[ended beneath the float with no success. They come after the fly, observe it from close distance and swim away.
Is there a trout in Upper Cle Elum between the lake and confluence with Cooper river?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its slim pickens in that section... If you hit the confluence at the upper end of the lake in the evening, its possible to catch some trout. I have been drifting the eddies in my float tube, and have had mackinaw skimming the suface 10 ft away just about dark. I have heard rumors of people hooking into them on streamers...

·
North Bend, WA
4,400 Posts
I had the same luck 2 weeks ago except for a few on the smallish side found at the confluence. Below the confluence I couldn't find anything but didn't hit it that seriously. Very pretty water though.

Has anyone hit Cooper Lake and the river just below the lake to the bridge? Pretty water. Wish I had a chance that day to fish it.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/images/pictures/cooper_lake_river.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone hit Cooper Lake and the river just below the lake to the bridge? Pretty water. Wish I had a chance that day to fish it.
I was there near the Cooper lake outlet without rod. But there defintely is a fish . I saw some splashes on the water. It's a typical Alpine lake and can holds brookies/cutts like other lakes in the wilderness area

Chris, isn't the same pic? :)
http://public.fotki.com/awaken/cooper_river_hike/lake_outlet.html

·
Registered
59 Posts
Chris,

That pic looks very familiar (shot from the bringe eh?)

I have fished that section of Cooper R. back in the hotdays of July.
Entered water just under the bridge. There ARE fish there too, good sized too - apparently either cutts or brookies. I observed 8 or so from bridge for a bit with polarized glasses and they seemed to be taking something small (midge?) off the surface (little 'sips' type rises) along the middle to far bank all the way up toward the lake outlet. From that distance (bridge overlook) I'd guess in the 12" catagory of alpine fish.

Here was the dilema however. Wading and cast angle mde it a challenge. Wading wasn't too bad, as depth along the edges was only about waist high, but that created backcast problems with the treelined banks. When I attempted to move closer to mid-stream, it gets deep and difficult for wading, (armpits+). The current was relatively slow with little obstructions (eg surface rocks) so there were no tricky seams to deal with, just one large constant flow direction. Roll casting was almost exclusive in this situation and/or trying an up & across type placement with enough slack and mend to get a decent drag free drift. I did see a pair in a canoe come down from lake (non-fishers) but they turned around when they started 'moving' in the current. Maybe swifter than first meets the eye? Possibly if someone were to have a small boat or pontoon type craft with a GOOD anchor to moor in one spot mid stream would make it easier to target the rising fish?

I only managed to hook up once (on a prince), and lost it too after a few hours of frustration there. I'm not saying it's impossible or trying to steer anyone away, but more challenging that it first appears.

It is however a nice mtn stream and on a hot July day, a good fishing option. I did hike downstream of bridge also ~1/4 mile and water looked like good pocket water there.

-dryfly-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.