Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 56 and about to embark on my first big game season and drew this tag and a Mt Emily spike elk. For my buck tag I was wondering a few things. .. Is it more effective to hunt higher or lower altitudes? I began scouting today and a few deer but they were in very heavily treed territory, should I be looking for more open areas or focus on places within a half mile from water?

I will be going solo on this hunt and am trying to learn as much as I can from experienced hunters and any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
When is tag? Is it primarily open sage deep canyons and ponderosa pine?

Best time to scout for the bigger bucks is at first light and right at dark. Get out on a vantage point 30 min before first light with a good pair of binos and or a spotting scope. Look for deeper canyons, Rimrock , aspen groves. Bring a good topographic map and mark areas where you spot deer.in July and August should be able to spot early morning moving from water to bedding areas.

The bucks are typically in bachelor groups now and in September will become more solitary.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The season is in the middle of October and I am hoping to take a couple of days off to make a four day trip. The land is thick lodge pole and some ponderosa pines with areas of different ages of logging exposure and some fire burnt areas.

As I look around I am walking trails and hitting as many different types of topography. I am looking forward to this new experience to learn and be outdoors.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am two weeks from my first hunt. I am going solo and have spent a lot of time on this site, YouTube, and visiting a couple of local gun clubs for advice. In addition I have scouted a cumulative of ten days and I think I am ready. Wish me luck and send any last minute advice and I will keep everyone posted

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Good luck

Hike in and get set Amin of an hour before first light

Use hunting pressure to your advantage and watch escape routes

If you are not experienced field dressing game watch a video on gutless method

Get meat cooled off ASAP that means gutless or get off hide and quarter out

I bring a small plastic tarp or a few cut open trash bags to lay meat on when field dressing

Lot. Less weight to pack out

Obviously game bags para cord extra knife and sharpener I like hiking poles for pack out

Hornets can be a problem when field dressing now in warm weather I use Pam spray or black pepper on meat to keep away

Be patient and use your glass

Good luck look forward to your report

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,159 Posts
Sully, for next year, you might want to check out KUIU's Teton line of clothing (they finally came in with stuff that's within most folks' price range), and their packs are some of the best out there. Trekking poles for sure, and there's some "ultralight" reusable game bags on the market. Sportsman's Warehouse usually has them. Go in light, come out heavy!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I completed my trip although it was not quite as what I had planned. I was hoping to camp for four nights and hunt hard but I came down with a nasty case of bronchitis. I did not want to miss my first trip so I stayed in our timeshare in Sunriver and looked hard hiking for four miles on Saturday but did not see a single deer.

On Sunday I went out into the Three Sisters Wilderness, saw a ton of tracks, but after another four mile hike I failed to see any deer. I met a few folks who had not seen anything either but I did hear a few shots off in the far distance at times. I then drove an old xc ski trail for a couple of hours hoping to find some fresh tracks but still came up empty so I headed home. I cut my trip short because of my health but am healing quickly and hope to do an OTC elk hunt in early November.

Thanks again for all the advice and support and I will continue to keep you updated on my newest adventures.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Everyone knows in CO, that the deer hang out in the cities/communities (in backyards) during hunting season...
Ya might even find 'em at the brew pubs too. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.