Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Slainte
6,628 Posts
We were in the upper reaches between Elkhorn and Mary's Falls about two weeks ago. In the 4 days we fished no one we saw kept any fish. I suspect those that fish Rica Canyon to Lillian River are more prone to keep fish. Those willing to do the grunt up out of Lillian are probably catch and release kind of folks. There is a relationship between lazy and greedy vs motivated and respectful, I believe.
The Elwha is a beautiful river, one can only imagine what it was like when it was wild. The flooding in February had an impact on the river, obviously, and the fishing as a result. Taking fish for the fry pan when the river is impacted just illustrates ignorance and greed. If there was an abundance of fish I could understand taking some to eat.
In today's world, we don't need to take wild fish to survive, not when you have Cliff Bars... :WINK

· Slainte
6,628 Posts
how far is upper?

Well, Hulmes Ranch is only a couple of miles from the trailhead.
Lillian River Camp is about 4.5 miles, Mary's Falls is 8.6, and Elkhorn is about another 2-3 after that. If your going, you better go now, it's getting cold fast up there. No overnight frost two weeks ago, but I'll bet that's changed.

· Slainte
6,628 Posts
waders or not

The water level was down about 12 to 18", but the latest showers may have helped. As a result, I only used my waders to cross the river to explore the other side.
Wet wading would be very cold, not advised. Plus the rocks are slippery and felt bottom boots are highly recommended.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.