Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Upper Sac

872 views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Philster 
Dog creek exit from I-5. drive down to the railroad tracks. Cross bridge and hike upstream a few hundred yards and fish down to bridge. Good place to fish midday as there is alot of shade to work with on the western side fishing from eastern side. Also go below bridge and fish as far as you want to hike. Awesome streamer water and wet fly on a sinktip water, and some years there will be smallies and spots to keep things interesting. That's actually enough water for one day. If you are fishing more than that, let me know.

Dog creek is the actual exit off of I-5. It close to Lake shasta. You won't miss it. Big ol' green highway signs. You don't fish the creek, but the Upper Sac itself. It's a lower section of the upper river, so it's wider and really lends itself to long casts and swinging flies, and you may find some risers of course. If you want pocketwater, try Soda Creek, which is much closer to Dunsmuir. Tons of good water, and a nice trail on the east side, and railroad tracks on the west. Soda Creek used to be my favorite for like 10 years until floods changed it, but there is still awesome pocketwater there.

Either way fish through the day, but fish smart. riffled water, Deep water, shade, undercuts, etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.