Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually I take my summer trip to Montana by myself,but this year my wife is going to with me which means I am going to spend at least 3 days in Great Falls. I was reading an article in Northwest Flyfishing and I got to wondering about the upper Smith River. I was wondering if anyone on this board has fished it around White Sulfer Springs? I was thinking of going over and giving it a try. Would it be worth the time,and where can I get access?.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I grew up fishing it. But I don't know if there is any access now. I do know that you have to have a permit to float it. With all that said if you can find access it is a great fishery. Big nymphs, hoppers, goofs, bunyon bugs etc.

good luck
Bitch Creek

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,846 Posts
I've never fished the Smith, but have been interested. Unfortunately it usually has a relatively short season, and if I remember correctly it really needs to be floated to enjoy the fishing. I believe it is a multiday float trip.

There should be plenty of other options in the area if you're able to drive around a bit. The Missouri is not far away and depending wading access can be good if the water levels are not too high. There is also a great guide in Wolf Creek if you're interested. He took me on an awesome day on the Missouri from Holter Lake Dam to Craig.

Good luck!
Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.