Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm off for Spring Break next week and I'm staying at a friend's cabin on the upper Yak above Cle Elum (golf course road/three bridges neighborhood) and we wanna float the upper river. I've rowed the lower canyon a few times but never the upper Yak. If I launch at Three Bridges and take out at the South Cle Elum Bridge (Fireman's Park i think?) about how much time will it take? According to my river map it's about 7 river miles. How difficult is the float (and compared to the lower canyon stretch)? Are there any log jams or other things I should watch out for? Is this float even a good idea for a novice rower? Btw I'm rowing a Dave Scadden two man pontoon.

I'm open for suggestions on any other floats around there. And where exactly are the Ensign, East Nelson St. and Bullfrog launches on the upper river? I can't seem to find them on any river maps or google... I'll be sure to stop by the fly shop in Cle Elum before I go

Thanks alot guys

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Ensign is at the Ensign ranch west of CleElum. Bullfrog you get off of Hwy 90 at the Roslyn exit and head southerly towards the river. This is maybe a short mile from the confluence of the CleElum river and the Yak.

I haven't floated this section of the river down to the takeout east of CleElum but have waded parts of it. Like any river at any time never go around a corner without stopping to look down river before going around the bend. What was a clear run yesterday could just as easily be blocked the next day!

Dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
I floated the section that passes under I 5 ,above Cle Elum, with a friend who knew the river. It was pretty straight foreward, but he said that the next section which would take you into Cle Elum had a few log jams. His info was most likely old ,so, I would talk to the guys at the fly shop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.