Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm going to take a spey fly tying class on Tuesday. I need to buy a vice that's sturdy enough for spey flies but also will do well for trout flies. What brand platform vices do you folks suggest? Of course I don't want to spend a bundle since I'm just starting out. Maybe after a few years I might need to upgrade but for now something sturdy and effective is need without all the bells and whistles.

Thanks,

Kevlar

· Registered
2,866 Posts
I love my Renzetti Traveler as well. The problem with going cheap
now means you will only want a Renzetti a few more years down the road
Then, now matter how good you get, it's hard to use two vises at once.
So the cheapo (and even then they are not cheap) goes in the drawer.
Get the Renzetti now and then be done with it. But if about $125-150 is more than you care to invest, I'll scout around and see if I can find my old Thompson Model A. You can have it. But I think I sold it in my last big garage sale when I thought I was going to die and I wanted to unload my stuff so my wife wouldn't get too badly burned.
I'll e-mail you if I find it. The old Tom tied a lot of flies for me, but she didn't rotate, she didn't hold tiny hooks well and you know she had little snob appeal and this is very important to me.
I believe that if you don't feel a little snobby when you tie your flies, they will stink. :CLOWN
BOBLAWLESS

· Registered
3,220 Posts
Take a look at the Dyna-King Kingfisher at around $99.00, it's not a full rotary vise but do you really need that feature? If you want a full rotary, check out the Peak Engineering vise from Loveland, CO., cam-operated, 100% US made, for about $115.00 (www.peakfishing.com). The vise comes with standard jaws and a set of midge jaws is available for an additional $20.00. Patrick's Fly Shop should have a few of them in stock soon.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at a Renzetti yesterday at Swede's and I'm sure it would be a good vice for trout flies but for tying Spey flies I've been told that I'll need a vice that can handle pulling with a lot more force than a trout fly. Now I'm sure that Renzetti has a vice that can handle this but the one available at Swede's looked more delicate. My situation is I need one for Tuesday so I can't shop around forever. They did have a Regal vise which looked good but it wasn't a rotary. However, I'm not sure a rotary is needed. Thanks for the offer and suggestions!!! :BIGSMILE

Kevlar

· Just an Old Man
35,200 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

After I shopped around and found out that most of the vises that I looked at were too expensive a I went out and bought a vise from Gorrila and sons. It's a big old ugly thing paid $50.00 for it I think. It holds hooks from a size 2 to a size 18 with no problem. It has those spring loaded jaws that takes two men and a boy to squeeze open. I think that it is a rotary as it spins around when I loosen up the screw holding it in place.

Jim

· Formerly tbc1415
3,171 Posts
Go for the Dyna-King Kingfisher. It is available and in your price range. This vise can carry you for quite a few years. It is well built and will hold all the hook sizes from small trout to large salmon/spey. Rotary is nice but hardly necessary at this stage. If you intend to put a lot of pressure on your hooks be sure to get a clamp mount or at least order a clamp for the vise that you buy if it comes with a table top base.

· Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,770 Posts
For a lifetime of "sturdy and effective", you need look no further than a Regal Rotary Vice. With either type of base, depending on your needs,( I like a clamp vice myself, for portability.). I have had some few vices over the years, I have a Renzetti Presentation right now and I love it, but I wish I had a Regal for it's simplicity and strength and nearly universal ability to hold hooks of all sizes.It's a commonsense tool that should last forever.Bets part is it's reasonably priced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.