Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tying for a year or so and I'm ready to upgrade from my $20 junk vise. I'm hoping a few of you more experienced tyers can help me understand the upside/downside of getting a Griffin Odyssey Spider Vise ($90) versus say, the Peak Rotary or Renzetti Traveler ($150ish). Obviously I'd like to save money, but don't want to make the purchase twice.

The reviews I've read of the Griffin Odyssey Spider Vise make it sound solid...

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,687 Posts
Renzetti traveler and you'll never need another vise imo ! If you don't want to spend that much ($200 ?) and you're not in a hurry look for a used one on the auction site.
I've been tying on my Traveler for 20 years; it's been everything I've ever needed in a vise and, barring catastrophic failure, it will be the last one I ever use.

Regards,
Scott

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I've been tying flies for 55 years and have both taught fly tying (up to and including married wing salmon flies). I've been recommending Griffin Vises since I saw my first one, which was a good 30 years ago, All the Griffin Vises are well-made, hold a hook with a vengeance, and would last the average fly tyer a lifetime. The Odyssey Spider is an excellent full rotary vise that sells, like the other Griffin Vises and tools, for a lot less than others that hold hooks as well. Plus, they are made in Montana and if something breaks (most likely because someone dropped it) or wears out, parts are readily available at a very reasonable cost to replace the broken part.

I know folks who have bought the Peak Rotary, the Griffin Odyssey Spider, and the Renzetti Traveler. All of these people like their vises and none of them have had any problems with their vises. But for the best value for the money spent, the Griffin Odyssey Spider beats them all. Granted, the Odyssey doesn't have the nicest finish, but who cares? The finish doesn't help it hold a hook solidly without slippage. If you really care about the finish, you'd be looking into the $400.00 and up truly professional vises that are overkill for the average fly tyer.

So from a value to cost ratio, the Griffin wins by a large margin, so safe yourself some money, buy the Odyssey, and use the money you saved to buy more materials, more fishing gear, a new fly line, or to take more fishing trips.

·
Registered
269 Posts
So from a value to cost ratio, the Griffin wins by a large margin, so safe yourself some money, buy the Odyssey, and use the money you saved to buy more materials, more fishing gear, a new fly line, or to take more fishing trips.
I have to agree on the quality of Griffin. I have been tying on a Griffin vise (a patriot I think?) for 20 years. I'm now considering adding a true rotary vise, but leaning toward the Mongoose rather than Odyssey. I don't know exactly what the differences are, but I think cam locking jaws are a pretty critical feature. Any thoughts on Odyssey vs. Mongoose?

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
IMO the Danvise is pretty tough to beat for the money.

That said, I'd pick the vise that fits your hands and tying style. All the vises discussed here are quality vises that will serve you very well, so I'd suggest trying to get your hands on as many as possible and pick the vise that feels right to you. I've tied on a ton of vises but always come back to the Barracuda simply because it's what feels best to me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a Renzetti traveler and the presentation 4000. Also a dynaking barracuda. I like the Renzettie for trout flies and the Barracuda for salmon and steelhead flies. I love the hook holding capability of the Renzetti. You can not go wrong with the Traveler. The only reason I got the presentation 4000 was because I got tired putting the traveler vice in and out of my travel tying kit. Plus I forgot it one time. now it just stays in the kit.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you live near a fly shop go in and tell them what you are looking for in a vise. Ask if you can try the vises they have for sale in the shop. As long as they stay in the shop you may not have an issue. Be ready to tie a fly on the vises so you can get a good feeling about what you are looking for.

Product reviews are only that, a review and the purpose for the review may only be to sell more of that vise. Everyone has a different opinion of what they want out of a vise. Personally I tie on a Regal and tie 500 to 1,000 dozen flies a year.

·
Steelhead Junkie
246 Posts
I have the Griffin Mongoose and as well as the Renzetti traveler. The renzetti is only used when, well I travel and......decide not to bring the Regal. The Renzetti is a very nice vise, but it is number 3 on my list behind the Griffin and Regal. My Danvise? It has 8 years of dust on it....maybe I should sell it. As an FYI - I purchased every one of my vises 2nd hand on either this and a few other fly fishing specific forums, saving about 50% retail and have never been disappointed.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Woodman60,

Both the Oddyssey and the Mongoose are excellent rotary vises. Which is best for you comes down to which you like better, or which jaw system you like better.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm an HMH man...
I have no experience with the others.
I tied on a Peak and it did everything I needed a vise to do. That is until I tried an HMH, wow what a difference in comfort & simplicity. I'm tying big streamers now and especially enjoy the easy jaw change and holding strength. HMH for me from now on...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for all of the feedback. I went with the Traveler 2200 (and a fresh bottle of Bookers...). Merry Christmas to me!

Hopefully this thread will help someone else make an informed decision in the future. If there's one thing I took away from all of the posts it's that having the opportunity to try a bunch of different models and see what feels right to you is the best way to go. There are a lot of good choices out there. Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.