Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
My wife and I will be vising from California. We don't know the area at all, and I'd very much appreciate any advice on places to fish. We'll be driving along the coast from Seattle down to Oregon, maybe even all the way down to California. I'd like to find a nice place to fish on the way, an put my wife on a fish (she's just started fly fishing).
Our budget is a bit tight, and non-resident fishing licenses for both Washington and Oregon would be a bit expensive, so I need to choose. Where would we have more fly fishing opportunities not too far from the coast, in WA or OR? If there are any great places within a couple of hours from the coast, that would work, too.
Thanks in advance for any information!

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
al35, welcome. Putting your trip into a date time frame might be a benefit for those who know the local fisheries.

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
Checking the regs along the way, cause there are lots and lots of lakes and streams.
Buying an out of state lic don't cost, it pays.
Getting caught without a lic really cost!!!!
Pick your spots wisely and just get a one or two day lic.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Al35,

Second half of July? Oregon. Fish the Siletz River for summer steelhead. I cannot think of any coastal fishery along Highway 101 that offers better fly fishing potential for that time frame. And if you want to increase your chance of success by about 1,000%, hire a guided trip for the day. PM if you want a recommendation.

Sg

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Good 'relies' above, but the cost of a 1-7 day fishing license in Oregon is pretty inexpensive, so not to worry there (it's the annual one that could put a crimp in your wallet).

1 Day Angling License $16.75
2 Day Angling License $31.50
3 Day Angling License $46.25
4 Day Angling License $58.00
Seven Day Angling License with Tag Privilege $59.75 (Steelhead/Salmon)
Combined Angling Tag $26.50 (Not sure what that is.)

Just pick your day(s) and have at it. But in that time frame, I'd (like above) recommend you 'pound' the lower bit of the Rogue. Lots of very easy access (maps are on line) and a ton of Summer Runs/1/2 pounders moving through the lower river. A good thing I think?

fae

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks you very much for advice! Oregon it is then. Looking forward to it!

We will also spend a day or two in the Olympic National Park. I'd love to get my better half catch a few trout on a fly (I need to get her hooked ;) ). She's a beginner, so it would be nice to find a place with a good chance to catch something (however small). Any advice on where to fish in the park? Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.