Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Wa State Ferry Vs Boat

Boats 
3K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  Augy 
#1 ·
Not sure when this happened but was posted on YouTube one day ago.

#17 ·
I know him, he's in my marina. I think he was driving on AP and went "down under" to do something. Bad mistake, and one I've done a number of times driving on my autopilot, but I've been lucky to date. He was really really lucky the ferry hit the brakes, or he could have rolled under and become crab food. Hella stout is an understatement when it comes to those boats. I have a picture of the damage, and to me it looks largely cosmetic. Lesson learned!

fb

#18 ·
fb
Since you know him, is the guy deaf as someone had posted?

Well, the cruiser did have the right of way....
I'm no mariner, but I believe the ferry always has the right of way due to being a commercial vessel on a posted route. That is what I was told years ago by a fellow that spent time in the CG, so believed it to be true. Please correct me if that is wrong.
SF

#19 ·
I'm no mariner, but I believe the ferry always has the right of way due to being a commercial vessel on a posted route. That is what I was told years ago by a fellow that spent time in the CG, so believed it to be true. Please correct me if that is wrong.
SF
I was being tongue in cheek. I should have used a smiley. I don't know about the rule you cite, but there are rules that you need to yield to vessels limited in their ability to maneuver. Plus, you're supposed to avoid collisions whichever side you're on.

#27 ·
First rule of the road, outweighs all the rest. "Might makes right"

Guy was lucky. Real lucky.
"he was right, dead right, as he sailed along, but he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong". Remember that one Jeff?

And as far as the missile boats you see coming out of the Strait, it's the accompanying attack boat you don't see, that's already sized you up and communicated that to the boomer. As they say, you've been "weighed, measured, and found lacking". Having a shadow might have changed since my day, but when we had the Russkies lurking offshore near the boomer bases, the Los Angeles class boats ran interference.

#28 ·
Just saw this. Wow, shit happens. If he isn't deaf, he would have heard the first blasts. Must have been into something important.

The most common boating fault I see, and hear, is that sailboats always have the right of way. Guess what. If their motor is on, they are a power boat. I'd bet nearly half the sailors don't know that, and every one of the party pundits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.