Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there was a 2o ft great white chomping some guys trolling gear as he reeled it in behind his boat off point defiance today. it was on king5. oh no!

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art

·
Retired Mod
10,990 Posts
You sure it wasn't one of those 6 gill sharks? I only thought Great Whites were found near Africa, Australia, and temperates like that. I know they've had a few come up north, but rarely this high.

Hmmm, would love to see that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Great Whites are a cold water shark and although more rare in these waters they have been seen as far north as Vancouver Island. An El Nino that pushes slightly warmer water tempeartures up from California will bring them north. I have heard about them being seen off Westport and Grays Harbor but never so far in to Puget Sound.

I have a lot of friends who surf in Westport, La Push, Seaside OR. etc and they are constantly on the look out for sharks while they surf.

·
Registered
173 Posts
San Francisco Bay is loaded with Great Whites. They have attacked surfers along the Oregon coast also, but I wonder if this was a salmon shark. They range from Alaska all along the west coast. I think someone caught one near the mouth of the Columbia last year. They look just like Great Whites and also get huge. I would suggest a large seal pattern or anything shaped like a surf board.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Great Whites in Puget Sound? Absolutely, tho' rare. Consider this: One of the largest Great Whites ever caught was caught in Grays Harbor. Also, a 12 ft [dead] Great White was found on the beach in Port Angeles in the mid '60s.

Great Whites are found around the world. Here is an exerpt from
(http://www.zoo.co.uk/~z9015043/gws_conserv.html) describing the distribution of Great Whites the Northeast Pacific. In the text below VR = very rare, R = rare, O = occasional, F = frequent, CA = center of abundundance

Northeast Pacific:- Gulf of Alaska (VR), British Columbia, Washington State (R), Oregon Coasts (O), abundance increases southwards to Northern California (CA; F), Central California (CA; F, particularly from Sonoma County, Marin Co., the Gulf of the Farallones, Año Nuevo Island, Santa Cruz, Monterey Peninsula to the Big Sur); Southern California and Channel Islands (CA; F-O), Baha and offshore at Isla de Guadalupe (O). Sea of Cortez (I-R), Mexico (R) to Panama (R).
Literature: Klimley (1985); Royce (1963); Pike (1962); Fitch (1949); Kenyon (1958); Follet (1966); LeMier (1951); Kato (1965); Bonham (1942).
Cheers,

Michael

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just talked to the boathouse and it happened, the person worked at the aquarium for a long time and there was a tooth stuck in the flasher and its length is estimated by what he saw and the tooth at 20 ft.

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art

·
Registered
364 Posts
SWEET, brake out the 500 pound cable and go catch some seals for bait.

My dad has worked down at the point defiance marina for over 25 years so I will ask him if he has ever herd of a Great White encounter besides this most recent one. I was thinking of going and fishing the point this morning but I desided not to. I guess black mouth fishing has been pretty good down there recently. My dad and I got into a few black mouth about a week ago off the point.

fly15 :EEK :EEK

·
Smells like low tide.
7,939 Posts
Whoa! Just turned on the computer. I "retired" from a 35 year career as a surf-bum a little over a year ago, and had been surfing the WA and OR coasts since 1979. There have been alot of sightings in Oregon, from Seaside on south, but very rare in Washington. My friend Jack Bird was surfing with Kenny Doudt and some other Oregon surfers off Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach on Nov. 27, 1979 when Kenny was chomped by a good sized Great White, estimated to be at least 15 feet long. He barely survived, it being the worst shark-mauling survived on record, as well as the northernmost one ever recorded. Also the first recorded in Oregon. Kenny wrote a book about his experience, entitled SURFING WITH THE GREAT WHITE SHARK, published in 1992. Quite a story. Kenny is still surfing, and his two boys are both excellent surfers.
I have heard many stories of sightings and close calls in Oregon since then, but none by surfers in Washington. A 17 footer was caught after getting tangled in a gill-net near the Grays Harbor entrance many years ago, and commercial fisherman in Willapa Harbor have also accidentally caught a few in years past. I'm sure my hard-core surf buddies are overjoyed with this news, in hopes that it may stem the onslaught of the flatulating newbie-surfer hordes.
To think that all those years I was actually dry fly fishing...glad to be skunked!
:EEK Jimbo
Oops, actually I was using live bait! When surfing alone, every once in a while I would contemplate my place in the food chain and feel like a dry fly, especially those times when the hackles on the back of my neck rose. I suppose one could tie up some life-size sea-lion and surfer imitations and give 'em names such as: Rabid Local, Valley Kook, Lame Turkey, Hodad, Ripper, or Sponge-clinger(bodyboarder imitation). I'll bet a thickly dressed Valley Kook with some sort of bodysurfer imitation as a dropper would bring the Landlord calling. :LOVEIT

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,781 Posts
Baja and Pacific Fly fishing Lunatic and Pro, Nick Curcione, once suggested using a basketball that you superglued a big Bozo-The-Clown wig onto, and then lash the hairy thing to a 9/0 Mustad Shark Hook.He said something about a 20 weight rod and 1000 yards of 100 pound yest backing too...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.