Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Waders

1K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Twilightman 
#1 ·
I've recently rediscovered fly fishing after what has been a ten year hiatus (I know... I'm embarassed to admit it). I've been fishing the Spokane river and have been wading wet. I recently received a gift certificate to Gart sports for $100. So I've decided to get myself some waders.

So far my first choice is the Hodgman Wadelite I. But I've read some reviews that were not so favorable. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with these waders. I'd like to stay in the $100 range, but I'm wondering if in the long run I would be better off spending more money for a higher quality product. Thanks in advance for your input.

G
#2 ·
After reading many, many posts about waders and their expected life span (about 2, maybe 3 years if you are lucky) I went out and purchased the Hodgman Wadelites. They have worked just fine. The money saved, over what the competition costs, will buy another pair when these finally give up the ghost and I would still have some cash in my pocket for a third pair.

stumpfisher

#5 ·
Take the deal. Waders never last more than 2 seasons for me (I fish upwards of 100 days a year and wade fish). A few years ago I purchased the Simms Guide Waders (the $350 ones) and they fared no better than any others. I just got some Cabelas for $100 and I suspect they will work just fine.

Randy

#7 ·
I've been using the Cabela's waist high's for about a year now. I sent the first pair back after only a couple of months because they were springing leaks left and right. My new pair has been aquasealed a few times, but I can live with it. They've been used hard and only cost me $110. I'll never go back to neoprene.

G
#10 ·
Ive had a pair of Dan Bailys Ive had for about two years that I have beat the hell out of. They have been to Alaska and back as well as all over the OP. through the brush and everything else. Ive probally fished with them 400 times and not a single problem very tuff.

#11 ·
I have the Hodgeman Wadelite I waders and I haven't had any problems with them in 2 yrs of use. My father-in-law swears by his breathable waders from Cabela's. And, as everyone has been stating- definitely go with the breathable type waders. In the winter time you can wear fleece lined "thermal underwear" or other layers.

#13 ·
So far my first choice is the Hodgman Wadelite I. But I've read some reviews that were not so favorable. I'm curious if anyone has
[/quote]

I use it for the second summer season. These waders have minor leaks where the bootie attached to the pants if you stay in the water for a long time. But I think nothing beats the price. I got mine for $75

#14 ·
I have been fishing about forty five years, and fly fishing about 22 years in fresh and salt water. I have guided sa few years as well. I think that it cost me allot of money to work my way up to fibnally buying the best waders available- Simms Guideweight Waders. I can abuse them for ten or more hours a day for six months at a time, and then fish in them on my time off. The way i use them they last a year or two.The way it sounds like you'll use them they should last for years. With good care and little abuse they should be serviceable for a very long time.Even when I was just fishing occasionally for fun the cheaper waders were trouble.You live and learn.

#17 ·
I might be old---but I'm good.

I agree. I went out and bought a pair of light weight waders. Not breathable about 5 years ago. Made by Bare. Leaked in toe when first got them Aquasealed it up and haven't had a problem since. They don't breath,but they really take a beating.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.