Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a new pair of wading boots. I got back into fly fishing this year after a long lay-off so my current boots are over 10 years old. They have canvas uppers and felt soles. They grip really well, but, I damn near wrecked my feet last Sat fishing in them all day long -- no support at all. I will be mostly fishing west side rivers: stilly, skykomish, wallace, etc. So I'm looking at the usual combo of silt, mud, and rocks underfoot.

The Corkers swap out system looks interesting, don't know how robust it is. I also like the idea of the boots that forego traditional lace/tie system for what appears to be a ratcheting mechanism. I like a sturdy insole with lots of arch support and good ankle support.

What's working out for you folks? Is there one brand/model that stands out? I don't mind paying a goodly amount if there's an appreciable quality upside involved.

Erich

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
I'll be peering in with interest. Still nursing along my Gen 1 Korkers and been in the market for my next pair of wading boots. Like interchangeable soles, felt option an absolute must, and BOA laces are a deal breaker.

·
616 Posts
I love my Simms boots. I have tried several models. I made an extensive blog post about it with pictures back in February 2013. Currently I own the G3 and the Freestone models. Even though the Freestones are less money they are more comfortable for me. I have tried: felt soles, felt with cleats, Stream Tread with Hardbite Star Cleats, and Stream Tread with aluminum cleats. For wading safety I prefer the Stream Tread with aluminum cleats.

Welcome back to fly fishing!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I like my Simms G3s. Excellent ankle support. My Korkers with convertible soles lasted about 10 years so no complaints there either. My kid has a pair of Cabela's and thinks they are comfortable. Around Christmas Cabela's has pretty decent boots away about half off. At $80 a pair they don't have to be nice for too long to be worth the price IMO.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Just starting to break in a pair of Korker K5 Bombers. So far I really like them.

Had the Korkers Chrome for several years prior and really liked them. Can't speak highly enough about Korkers customer service! The interchangeable soles are built quite well though when the boots get good and worn you have to keep an eye on them when stomping around in deeper mud... The soles can get sucked right off.

I have a wide foot and the Korkers fit me well. These ones aren't BOA and I do miss the convenience but I could never get the BOA boots to tighten up to my liking.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Another vote for the g3s. I stepped down on a log once out of the water (never step onto wet no bark logs btw) and my foot slipped. placed it on a rock in water (was over a into creek) and my ankle rolled. my boot caught it and prevented it going further (I didn't tighten my boot enough)

Thankfully I was able to wade out and not be carried by my buddy. could have been very, very bad.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The new Simms Freestones are lighter, easier on and off and provide better ankle support than previous versions. I have the felts but a set of cleats in addition to the felt should cover all types of bottom strata.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but here's what I've found.

I really like the concept of the BOA system, I really do, especially when it's cold outside. Your fingers don't get "abused" tying and untying laces.

The problem is, the BOA system doesn't like me. What I mean by that, is that for whatever reason, the shape of my ankle bone/high arch/narrow feet or what have you, the boot doesn't cinch down where it should, and where it does, cuts off circulation (not a lot, but just enough) that in colder weather my feet get cold faster.

With laces, I can tighten where I want to, but leave it a tad looser around my ankle, and my feet stay warm. <- That took me two seasons to figure out. It's not something you think about, when it comes to the BOA system.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I bought a pair of the Simms RiverTek BOA's earlier this year. They didn't even last the season. To their credit, Simms is replacing them under warranty.

I have had the Korkers in the past and they last me two seasons before the body of the boot just kind of dissolves.

To be fair, I spend at least 100+ days on the water each year but it seems for hundreds of dollars I should get a longer lasting product.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great input thanks for the responses. I tried on a pair of g3s at Cabelas today. Loved the fit and support. Cabelas doesn't hardly have anything in stock anymore, didn't have a single pair of corkers to try on in my size. I'll probably stop at Pacific tomorrow after work and see what they have.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
I have been a long time believer in the Simms boots. I am using the G3 Guide Boots, with old school laces. It turns out that these are the simplest, most straight forward option for me. How the hell am I going to deal with a broken BOA lacing system in the middle of a fishing trip? I prefer felt soles for beaches, no studs in my boat please! But if you're planning on winter fishing, then I recommend you get rubber soles, with removable studs. Felt soles will freeze and load up with ice in colder weather . Even with studs, it's no fun. I have tried just about every other boot out there at one time or another . The Simms boots don't fail me. Over 200 days a year on the water some years. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

·
Geriatric Skagit Swinger
8,260 Posts
My experience has been that the Simms Freestone boot is just about the best bang for the buck, especially if you can get them on a closeout sale. I have several pairs, studs, studless in a few different years models...and a new pair still in the box from the last model's closeout.

I tried the changeable soles. I tried reel hard to like them but just couldn't get used to not having the felt at the edges. So I put the hard soles on them and use them with my fins in the lake.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
The last pair of wading boots I bought was about 20 years ago or so. They are Corkers. I haven't worn my waders in almost 10 years. I still fish but I have found out I don't have to wade to catch fish. They all seem to come to me. But what does a good pair of wading boots cost now a days.

·
Now hanging at the other, better new place
3,681 Posts
I'm personally not a fan of the BOA system for wading boots, but I hate the cheap stock laces that SIMMS and others put on their boots. Once I got some of these I put them on all my boots. Super duper tough boot laces that don't come untied.

·
2004 - 2022
4,947 Posts
I bought a pair of the Simms RiverTek BOA's earlier this year. They didn't even last the season. To their credit, Simms is replacing them under warranty.

I have had the Korkers in the past and they last me two seasons before the body of the boot just kind of dissolves.

To be fair, I spend at least 100+ days on the water each year but it seems for hundreds of dollars I should get a longer lasting product.
My husband has Korkers and like Jay says, the body of the boot is dissolving. I think I am going to get him new ones for Christmas which is why I am looking here.

I am picky about boots and shoes fitting well. and I am on my second pair of men's Clearwater Orvis boots. They have great support. But I haven't had them very long and the felt last year totally ripped off on one boot. I had a shoe repair fix them for $20 but I wasn't happy because I don't fish as often as I used to and I swear I probably used them only ten times before that happened.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I wound up going with the Simms G3s rubber vibram souls. Very happy with this product so far. Love the high ankle support and the long laces. I bought a set of the Chota long rifle studs and put 5 in each boot. Wore them fishing today, very happy with how the traction that just a few studs gave me. Really nice to have those studs walking over fallen trees on the trails to the river. We'll see how well they last. At $229.00 they better not fall apart this season.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.