Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting dragged to a wedding in Walla Walla in July. Anybody know of any decent places around there to throw some dry flies at some trout? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
The Touchet river right in/around Dayton is about 30 minutes and a good spot for trout, or the Tucannon river may be a bit better, but a longer drive (if you go up there you could also hit Big Four Lake, a fly fishing only one, though not the prettiest). The Walla Walla has trout, but I've only really fished for them up the forks in Oregon.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Grayone has a REALLY good point!

Walla Walla is a neat town with incredible wine and some great food. Drive to Dayton and eat at Patit Creek or to Waitsburg to the Whoopemup Hollow Caffe, or stay local and try Creek Town, Saffron or the Whiethouse Crawford. If you feel like a beer try The Green Lantern. Cugini Italian market for authentic meats and cheeses, the Worm Ranch for incredible Mexican food for lunch and stop in and take home some fresh produce from the farmer's market. Tons of wineries too!

·
Dues past due
234 Posts
Although I have no idea how to answer your question, a quick Google Maps search for fly shops in the area showed a few in the 'nearby' vicinity. I would give them a call, then stop by on your travels. They'll surely send you in the right direction, especially if you buy a few of the flies they recommend.

·
The Breaker of Tippets and Arrows
95 Posts
There are a couple good public access spots on the Walla Walla river. That link to the Whitman site is a good guide to them. Steves Archery and Fishing is our local shop. Good fly selection and great guy to chat with. We have a local fly club Walla2 Fly fishers, check us out on Facebook.
I personally like the Tuchannon River for a good day of fishing. PM me when your here and if I am free I could take ya out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it's an outdoor wedding, chances are it's might be at one of the wedding event locations located on Mill Creek. Skip the wedding and hit the creek!
TD911 has it right. The link for Whitman helped me find a couple spots, the Tuccanon in particular. ( hit Laht Nappur in Waitsburg for a hand crafted beer on the way back)
PM me when you get closer to the date as well. I am a rookie and always willing to get a free lesson!

·
Indi Ira
9,492 Posts
( hit Laht Nappur in Waitsburg for a hand crafted beer on the way back)
!
Triple this if you are at all into beer!

Mill Creek if you can find access.

Toccannon up high by Big Four small fish all day that will take a dry.

Touchet not as many as Toccannon, you have to find them, but the potential for a bigger fish.

Walla Walla or snake for smallies.

Bennington Lake for spiny ray try double rigging and catch two at the same time.

Oh, and drink wine! Try Morrison Lane in town, great stuff.

Ira..

·
Just Another Bubba
803 Posts
I'm there next weekend on a visit to the campus for my daughter. I've got Saturday free to fish what's the water conditions look like? I'm good for trout, bass, carp...anything that swims and hits a fly (broad definition of "fly" too).

How high up into the walla walla do the smallies come?

thanks
paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.