Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Floated the Wallow/Grande Ronde (Minam to Wild Cat) and Lower Salmon River (Whitebird to Heller Bar) last week 115 miles floated in 7 days on the water total. The Wallowa/GR trip was for a trip I donated to a fundraiser auction. Many smallmouth caught on the lower Salmon. We also caught a 12 inch smallmouth about 15 miles upstream of Wildcat Bridge on the Grande Ronde. I have never caught a smallmouth up that far and never caught any above Wildcat Bridge before after floating that river about every year (some years multiple times) since the early 1990s. The last sampling report I read from ODFW was that smallmouth distribution ended a few miles upstream of Troy or near the vicinity of Wildcat Bridge. We also assisted another 1-boat group that flipped and had folks scattered along the river and lost their dry box to boot on the Lower Salmon at Half and Half Rapid. Not too smokey and not as hot as western Oregon/Washington was the same week (weird). No wind on the row out of Lake Snake. The adventure also included 1 flat tire change at wildcat with a fix in Lewiston on the way to Whitebird. Also 1 big fat and lethargic rattler observed on the Wallowa, but no goats or sheep seen at all. First time I never saw any, smallmouth must have ate them all.

The new expedition sized Bakrafts from Aire kick ass:

Shady spots can be hard to come by

How does this new cat frame go together?

doggy style:

The jumping log:

Wifey asleep in the new Expedition Bakraft:

With the doggy:

The lovely wife rowing the new battle ship (16' cat):

the scene of the crime after frying and eating many murdered bass:

The Navy:

Pimp Cave camp:

The starship shapsurprize:

A short little video with drunken shenanigans at the end

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, that looks like my old Roamin' Chariot!
Could be, I bought it several years ago from an older couple that live on an Island near Anacortes that bought it new and had it on a Ford Ranger, they said they drove it to Baja. I am the second owner. Maybe you live on an island near Anacortes?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How were the snakes? We encountered many big rattlers on our last trip through the W&S.
If you mean the W&S section of the Grande Ronde, we only saw 1 big rattler slowly crawling along, a really really big one. I have heard from a few friends that they have all seen several rattlers (some aggressive) in camps this year. More than I have heard of in the past. We didn't have any in our camps at all, but I was surprised. We camped at the big camp at Sickfoot Creek our last night. The last time we were there camping we saw 5 rattlers. And a friend camped there earlier this year and saw a bunch. But the BLM treated the field for noxious weeds the week before, and I think that drove the rattlers out for a while at that spot. At takeout we heard a reports from 2 other groups of big rattlers in the middle of their camps.

We didn't see a any rattlers on the Salmon-Snake.

One of my dogs is a great snake dog. She is a stray from southern California and I think she was around a lot of rattlers when she was a wild dog. Now when she sees one, she stands about 15 feet away and barks at them, which is great because it alerts us to them as well.

·
1,696 Posts
One of my dogs is a great snake dog. She is a stray from southern California and I think she was around a lot of rattlers when she was a wild dog. Now when she sees one, she stands about 15 feet away and barks at them, which is great because it alerts us to them as well.
That is one awesome dog. Thanks for the report.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.