Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to purchase a 'mint', Sage GFL 690 LL and was wondering if this rod has the same 'enthusiastic/cult like' following that some of it's lighter cousins enjoy?

I've searched extensively on Google for some specific references to this rod, but have found very few to it.

Confusingly, the Sage website states that they made they made the Light Line series in 2-5 weights... not a 6 weight!?

The rod would be a 'distance purchase', from a trusted seller and for approx. $250.

Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Well, I paid $225 for my 2pc. 4 wt. LL about twenty years ago. I didn't really know what I was getting other than it was a great buy on a closeout. I think that's when they went to the SP model but I'm really glad I got it. I don't really know that much about a 6 wt. but the one I have is killer. It's always the first one in the truck when I go trout fishing. My only fear is that someday I'll break it and Sage won't have any blanks left to replace it. It would cause me great pain to break that rod.

·
Old guy, still fishing.
60 Posts
I've got two LL 6wts,both 2 piece. One was custom built from a blank and the other is a factory build. I paid about $250.00 for the custom rod and more for the factory job and would do it again in a heartbeat. If you buy it and don't like it I'd be happy to hear from you.
JJ

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
It's my impression (and probably more opinion than fact!) that the LLs were originally intended as Light Line rods - that is, mainly for 3wt, 4wt and some 5wts.

Remember that back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, 3wt rods were still considered ridiculously light and something of a novelty at a time when most folks were fishing 5wt and 6wt rods. With their moderate actions and delicate feel, the 3wt and 4wt LLs were and are considered a high water mark in light trout rod design, converting many anglers to the lighter line for trout fishing, and hence earning their extreme popularity even to this day.

But the notion that a 6wt could also be a light line rod seems a bit of a stretch to me and perhaps more of a marketing attempt to capitalize on the lighter weight rods' popularity. While it may have a bit more deliberate action than it's slightly later, and faster, brothers, the SP and RPL series, I'd guess that the GFL 690 LL wouldn't command the same interest - and price - among collectors as its lighter weight siblings.

Nonetheless, at just $250 and with two posters ahead of me expressing interest if you don't end up liking it, what have you got to lose?!

K

·
Registered
21 Posts
I picked up one of the 6 wt. LL's just before they were discontinued and another one a few years later. Both are 3 piece. I use them a lot. Softer action and very useful for accurate casting close in. One is my go-to trout nymphing rod and another works great for tossing big stoneflys in brushy areas. I have 4 wt and 5 wt LL's, also, but rarely find any use for them on my water, whereas the 6 wt always seems to be the better choice. If I needed another one, which I obviously don't, I'd take that $250 offer in a heartbeat. Don't know if Sage woudl still repair a broken one, though, should that happen.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a collection of LL's from 2-6 wt. For trout, the 490 is my hands down favorite, edging out the highly touted 389. The 6wt makes for a great pond rod especially when there's potential to get into larger bass. It will bend deep with the bluegills and has enough backbone for when the big boys come out to play. I find that I don't cast larger flies / poppers particularly well with this rod. I don't believe it was designed with that intent. However, it will cast a dry fly a country mile with the prettiest loops you've ever seen. While I agree, you won't see the 6wts valued at the premium price of the lighter offerings, I think $250 is quite reasonable for one in mint condition.

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts
I have a 4-5 LL that I built from from a kit 20 years ago. It's nothing short of superb.I have gotten to some BIG fish on it a couple times, and wished it was a 6, so it looks like you're onto something

·
Registered
277 Posts
great rod for bigger fish or really windy days,I'd buy it in a heart beat.If you don't like it i'll take it from ya.. mine got stolen been look'n for a replacement for awhile..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.