Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading posts in another thread got me to thinking about an exteded trip around the 101 loop of the Olympics. What is the extent of Fly fishing the Wshington coast surf, if any? :hmmm:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Washing coast surf fishing

I think there's a couple of fellers on here that have or still do surf fishing, they should hop in here soon!!

Jc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It has been many years since I have serf fished and after learning about the src's off the beaches within Puget Sound. I was hoping that someone had discovered some great fly fishing fishery off this coast as to round out a trip around the Olympics. The lackluster response to this thread leads me to think serf fishing with a fly rod is not so popular or is a well kept secret.
Thanks for your reply Jc

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

I just went in the surf of LA and now want to head down to Long Beach and see how I do there

There is a fly called the FLUFF that I think will work or any bait fish pattern I think will work

here what I tied for down there

use something with some wire weight in it or some dumb bell eyes to add some weight to get down

I used a extra fast sinking poly leader on a floating line and it sure helped

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts

I've tried chucking flies for 'em with no success here on the Twin Harbor beaches. It is usually windy here, but sometimes the wind isn't a factor. Often, the red-tails just aren't present when I'm trying for them (likely, since my casts were not getting out far enough, maybe 60 to 70 feet at best). Larger surf isn't easy to fish. Small surf is better than flat conditions, though.
Sometimes the perch are in much closer on days when the wind and surf are down, but you just have to "keep searching" and luck out and be in the right place at the right time.

I do OK with bait at times, though.

The wind is usually less strong on the beaches up between Kalaloch and Ruby Beach, due to the cliffs and the fact that the area isn't a major gap in coastal terrain, like the Twin Harbors area.

There's a surf perch derby with cash and swag prizes coming up here at Westport, either this weekend or the next. You don't stand even the slimmest chance at ever winning this with flies. That's only because there's a small group of hard core perch fishermen who are out there all the time, who use bait and custom rods that can hurl it 200 feet or more into the outer troughs. They have it wired because they know where the perch were biting yesterday. There is just no way even the "world's greatest" Redtail Surfperch fly angler could ever beat these guys at their own game.

Long Beach peninsula and Cape Disappointment are areas to try. I've never fished for them there, though.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts

Many of the best beaches to try are in Oregon. There are a limited number of beaches that work in Washington mostly the North O.P...... I could be wrong since I haven't fished Washingtons beaches yet but fishing the sound is great. Done that!

·
Registered
37 Posts

I have caught redtails in the interior bays at Westport--these are not at the open ocean beaches--I'm talking inside the south jetty. The surf/waves are usually a lot calmer and the perch (redtails) are cooperative. My bites are usually within 50 feet of the beach. I usually use light gear (1 ounce weight, rather than 4 ounces on the open ocean beach)... Next time I am going to bring the fly rod.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

I have caught redtails in the interior bays at Westport--these are not at the open ocean beaches--I'm talking inside the south jetty. The surf/waves are usually a lot calmer and the perch (redtails) are cooperative. My bites are usually within 50 feet of the beach. I usually use light gear (1 ounce weight, rather than 4 ounces on the open ocean beach)... Next time I am going to bring the fly rod.
keep us posted how you do

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Nemo, give me a hollar next time you are heading down this way. Yes, I've seen anglers catch perch in Half Moon Bay. But like any other spot, either they are present, or not. Only advice here is to keep searching if you aren't finding any. Good rips develop there when the surf is up a little. Try close to the N end near the rocks. Anglers also fish for them on the low tide change and incoming tide from the groins (finger jetties on the W end of the boat basin).
Right now the surf is very small on the ocean beaches, the wind is light SW, and its probably as good a time as any to try to find them.
The local perch experts often keep fishing or trying the spot that has been producing until the perch move somewhere else. A good trough or hole may persist and produce hot action for a period of days (on about the same phase of the tide each day), then gets cold when the perch move somewhere else...
Some guys here have it figured out and manage to hit 'em consistently, but they are on it all the time. They are pretty tight lipped about their current hot spots, too!
Good luck!

(Dirty dirty, dirty, but you can hunt for 'em with bait, then switch to files if they are in close enough!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nemo, give me a hollar next time you are heading down this way. Yes, I've seen anglers catch perch in Half Moon Bay. But like any other spot, either they are present, or not. Only advice here is to keep searching if you aren't finding any. Good rips develop there when the surf is up a little. Try close to the N end near the rocks. Anglers also fish for them on the low tide change and incoming tide from the groins (finger jetties on the W end of the boat basin).
Right now the surf is very small on the ocean beaches, the wind is light SW, and its probably as good a time as any to try to find them.
The local perch experts often keep fishing or trying the spot that has been producing until the perch move somewhere else. A good trough or hole may persist and produce hot action for a period of days (on about the same phase of the tide each day), then gets cold when the perch move somewhere else...
Some guys here have it figured out and manage to hit 'em consistently, but they are on it all the time. They are pretty tight lipped about their current hot spots, too!
Good luck!

(Dirty dirty, dirty, but you can hunt for 'em with bait, then switch to files if they are in close enough!
Will try to give you a holler next time I am planning a trip. Tough to get a hallpass to go to Westport for the last few years. Ever since I talked my wife into spending a few days at WP after our wedding (short mini-honeymoon), she's never liked the place. (I spent the mornings of that trip surf fishing for perch, and the evenings casting for rock fish off the jetties).

Nowadays, I might get out when they have the razor clam openers; or (dirty, dirty, dirty) to cast spinners and bait off the docks during the boat basin salmon run.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good luck!

Will try to give you a holler next time I am planning a trip. Tough to get a hallpass to go to Westport for the last few years. Ever since I talked my wife into spending a few days at WP after our wedding (short mini-honeymoon), she's never liked the place. (I spent the mornings of that trip surf fishing for perch, and the evenings casting for rock fish off the jetties).

Nowadays, I might get out when they have the razor clam openers; or (dirty, dirty, dirty) to cast spinners and bait off the docks during the boat basin salmon run.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.