Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI! I need info about some nice streams or small rivers in Washington. I am planning a trip in July & need some good places to visit:)

I will be starting on the coast & traveling to Idaho & Montana. Any good ideas? I have only fished in Oregon & Montana................so I need some input :) Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Well, sorry I guess. It's just that these dudes that hang out aroung here fall all over themselves when a female (I do hope this is the case and not just some wise ass pumping us for info.)asks for anything. CWU Girl can vouch for this.
Washington has some of the most fabulous rivers in the world when things go right. But the last years, well..
We have some good lakes but you'll have to cross the
Cascades for many rivers, except the Yakima.
Personally, if I were just bumming around looking for fish, I'd stay in Montana or Idaho since I think good rivers are more abundant there.
My apologies if you are real. If you are just a lurker from some place back East who is trying to fool someone, let me just say that being tied to a sage bush with rattlers everywhere is not my idea of a pleasant time.}( }(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
u guys r too much! Even in the this past fly fishing class I took, I was 1 of 3 girls with 25 guys. I don't understand why other women are not interested in fly fishing. To be honest, there is nothing better than spending the day on the river. On Memorial Day weekend I was in Montana fishing & spent 2 days on the river. I got so burned & eaten alive, but there is nothing in the world that beats it. I don't have a ton of experience, but I love it.....that is why i want to spend my 2 weeks off on the road fly fishing. I have never done that & this may be the only opportunity......So honestly, I really need some info. I live in the Portland area (not anywhere the East...lol....) Help please! Thanks!!

·
Registered
844 Posts
It does, sometimes! But there was a particularly presistant guy whose name seems to escape me that...

Ohh well... ;-) :beer2

CS

·
Registered
777 Posts
There's no fish in Idaho ;)

Where in Washington are you planning on travelling? The Stilliguamish, Skykomish, and Snoqualmie are good bet's if you're into steelhead. The Yakima River is the closest thing we have to Montana, and if you're looking for small streams, try Rocky Ford...

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! lol no fish in Idaho :7 :dunno Where is Rocky Ford? I will be on the coast for 4th of July & then have another week & half to make it to Montana & back to Portland. So I want to hit a couple of nice spots along the way to Montana or on the way back. I will only be going into Western Montana.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hell, on the off chance.... I'll bite.

If you gave me my choice, I'd head straight to Montana and spend a full week and a half of fishing the Bitterroot, Rock Creek, Clark's Fork, the Blackfoot, and then head down to the Big Hole, Poindexter Slough, and the Ruby River. If you're looking for small stream fishing, try the North Fork of the Blackfoot and the West Fork of the Bitterroot.

If you're on the coast, and you want to steelhead fish, try the North Fork of the Stilliguamish River, it's a great little river. The Skykomish is a popular spot for steelhead, but I don't really fish it much so I'm not the person to ask about that. The Skagit is a massive river that I hear has quite a few fish in it, but it's too big for me. The Sauk get's good runs of steelhead but the water is crystal clear and the fishing can be very technical, it can be a difficult stream unless you know the holes.

On your way across I-90 heading towards Montana, I would suggest stopping in at the Yakima River and fishing for a day or two in the canyon. The canyon has great wading access, as almost the entire section is owned by the BLM, and there are lots of fish per mile. During that time of year, however, the water flows will be pretty significant due to them releasing water from the dam for agricultural purposes. Boat fishing is the best during this time, but there can be decent bank angling if you can fish it during a non-weekend. For some spots, send me a PM or talk to one of the guys at the Evening Hatch in Ellensburg.

Rocky Ford is East of the Yakima River about an hour and a half, located in the general area of Ephrata and northwest of Moses Lake. It's a very popular place, and can get very crowded, I would suggest staying away from it during the weekends if you can. It's a spring creek that's planted with large triploid rainbow trout and some broodstock fish, they read gargantuan size but they have become so accustomed to people that it can be a little like fishing in a fish bowl.

When you pass through the Idaho panhandle, you can check out the Couer De'Laine (spelling?) river, which I hear has a few fish. Still, I would probably do the same thing that most people do and drive right through the panhandle to Montana.

Best of luck and send photos!

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

·
I’m a whale
4,667 Posts
Hi Red , if you dont mind me calling you that, im heading over that way the 1st week in july. do you have a float tube or? or are you wading this wholething out. there are a good mix of lake and flowing waters to hit on the way. are you traveling I- 90 east? a good bet would be to hit the Olympic pennisula up while your out there- the Hoh river , if your south on the coast <oceanshores area> then maybe some of the rivers between there and aberdeen. then maybe the Yakima R. then some desert lakes north east of there in the moses lake vicinity:p sounds like a killa vacation your taking there, if your interested in fishin with some us , maybe a friendly native can help ya out, anyways im trying to make my way to the ketchum area around the 4th also so? a redhead and she fly's wow, hothothot:smokin the guys are probably laughing thier asses off --hmm.... bhudda can't fish!}( :p laters bhudda

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
Red Head, Potland? You were not by chance one of a group of 5 or 6 women flyfishing Lake Merrill during the Hex hatch about 3 years ago by chance. Almost every fly fisher on the lake that day stayed on shore all day. They claimed due to the wind. But I think they had other things on their mind. To bad for them all. I caught some nice Cutts in the back bay sheltered from the wind and all to myself. The gals all went back to their camp alone. I know I talked to them as I was coming back to the ramp starting to pack up to and they were packing to go back to their camp.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Well Red, wish I was coming along. Try following the St. Joe River upstream out of St. Maries, Idaho. Fill your gastank at St. Maries. Fifty miles of wonderful stream, cutthroat, and plenty of camping right next to the stream. Continue upstream and take the turnoff that goes over the pass to Montana and comes out at St. Regis. (Good road, some gravel but good condition.)

·
Registered
844 Posts
>Ya bob, I'm with ya on this one, sounds a bit fishy.
>No way can this be for real, must be a dude trollin for
>info. When will they learn?:dunno YT :smokin

Isn't that what you said about me until recently?? Hmm.. yeah!! I thought so!

How things change... :beer1

CS

·
Stephen Mull
650 Posts
Buddha-

Ketchum, ID area? A buddy and I are going to be there in a couple weeks. We will fish teh Big Wood and hopefully make our first assault at Silver Creek. Where are you hoping to fish?

·
I’m a whale
4,667 Posts
schmokin'reel

well , the big wood is in and then ? im researching that right now, also typing in Silver creek too. haha. ill post it and see if our paths dont cross. eh- bhudda

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.