Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
SFR
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a few gear recommendations on waterproof hip bags. I have an older nylon Simms hip pack that soaks up water throughout a day fishing in the rain or deep wading. On one of my last trips I made the mistake of wading too deep in some foul rotten spawned-out salmon water....now the bag permanently smells like a dumpster behind a Long John Silvers. Time for a new bag!

The top choices I've seen are the Patagonia Stormfront 10L ($199), the OPST Rainforest pack ($70), the Umpqua Tongass 650 ($169) and the Fishpond Westwater ($99).

The zipper vs. roll-top closure seems to be the biggest difference between these, other than size (oh and price!). The roll-top is probably more secure, but you need both hands to close it.

Anyone have any of these packs and love/hate them?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Very interested in hearing this. I am in the same boat as you, my nylon simms bag soaks up water like a sponge and I am getting tired of having to lay everything out and dry it after each trip.

So Far I am torn between the Patagonia Stormfront and the Simms Dry Creek pack. I don't need much for internal organization, but having a few options is better than no options.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
It depends if you really want it waterproof or just close enough.

I have a Simms Dry Creek series hip pack that I would rate close enough. During the Forks Fishing outings, I am always turning my bag upside down to drain out the rain water.

But for the truly waterproof bag check out Sagebrush Dry Bags. I have a couple of their bags, and they really use waterpoof zippers, dry suit grade zippers.

·
SFR
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those Sagebrush bags look pretty cool - I'd never heard of them before.

Some of the reviews of the Dry Creek bags scared me away - it sounded like it had a few issues with the closure and keeping everything cinched tight.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Those Sagebrush bags look pretty cool - I'd never heard of them before.

Some of the reviews of the Dry Creek bags scared me away - it sounded like it had a few issues with the closure and keeping everything cinched tight.
Sagebrush are bombproof. I've used one in the salt on Cape Cod for 5 years and it looks brand new and it has been used heavily.
I would close the bag, spray it off with a hose and let it dry......Nice people who make it and it is airtight and in a pinch use as a float!

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
I have the smaller (5L vs 11L) Sage "Technical Waist Pack". Seems plenty big for my needs but all reviewers seem to gravitate to the big one. I guess it's fairly waterproof but honestly I haven't grown to like it much yet, and use other systems for now. I may try it out again. Sorry that I can't give a good opinion on it. Just not used to a fanny pack and it doesn't work well with a stripping basket, so its not good for the beach.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
If the Simms uses the same or similar zippers as my boat bag, stay way.
A white Costco garbage bag would work better.

I don't own any Sagebrush products, but the people I fish with that do having nothing but great things to say about them.
SF

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have the Patagonia Stormfront and I really like it. I bought for a float trip and it kept everything dry during that trip. If there is a down side to the Stormfront is there no dividers so everything is loose in the main compartment, there is a zippered internal pocket that worked great for a wallet.

·
SFR
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most canoe/kayak dry bags have roll tops and are submersible, but none of the roll-top hip bags say they are actually "waterproof" - just "splashproof" or "water resistant". Actually, I take that back - the Umpqua bag says it is watertight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.