Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my pack this year, and have mostly bounced around between hip packs and sling packs and so I'm a little indifferent about either. For usage and walking purposes, do you recommend either a sling pack or a hip pack? Does one hold up better than the other in your experiences? Any pros and cons would be appreciated!

·
Registered
208 Posts
You might also consider a chest pack. Leaves room for your net in back and can hold pretty much everything you need. Just be careful to not force the zipper as it can be damaged with forceful use. I have a waterproof fishpond and it has been real good so far after 2 years of use. Also buy some zipper lubricant and lube the zipper, or zippers, regularly to keep them working good.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The OPST roll-top hip pack is a great item. I now have two of them and keep them stocked and ready to go for different fishing situations (small stream vs. big river/float). In my mind, rolltop dry bags are the way to go. No zippers to fail. Seals tightly every time.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You might also consider a chest pack. Leaves room for your net in back and can hold pretty much everything you need. Just be careful to not force the zipper as it can be damaged with forceful use. I have a waterproof fishpond and it has been real good so far after 2 years of use. Also buy some zipper lubricant and lube the zipper, or zippers, regularly to keep them working good.
fishpond has a new waterproof zipper design for the chest pack that is vastly superior to the old one. I just got a new pack in replacement of my old one (warranty claim) because of the damaged zipper. And the new one is awesome.

the chest pack is great and the detachable back straps also mean it’s a nice small waterproof pack to take on a guide trip in a driftboat where all tackle is supplied. I take mine that way and carry things like sunscreen, phone, keys, license, etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I personally like the sling bag over hip pack. I have had both. Depends on how much you carry and how deep you wade or walk.
I don’t like the chest packs, but that is just me. I like to have room in front of me and the hip pack fills all my needs

156 Posts
i don’t like chest packs I don’t like all that gear stuffed under my chin. fish pond makes a large oil skin over the shoulder pack that has good sz room for most things camera water bottle. 99.00 at my local north 40 outfitters. I’m wanting to buy one for a few months but have been buying bass gear instead

·
Registered
184 Posts
I use a rolltop waterproof fanny pack as a sling pack. there are more (and cheaper) waterproof fanny packs out there and they work fine over the shoulder IMHO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my pack this year, and have mostly bounced around between hip packs
and sling packs and so I'm a little indifferent about either. For usage and walking purposes, do you recommend either a sling pack or a hip pack? Does one hold up better than the other in your experiences? Any pros and cons would be appreciated!
Luggage and bags Bag Backpack Font Wood

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Luggage and bags Bag Wood Gas Baggage

Luggage and bags Automotive lighting Bag Wood Audio equipment

I got the waterproof Simms sling pack and it took a little getting used to but I love it now. The store I got it from said when the Simms rep showed them this, he zipped it up and stood on it to show how tight it sealed up. It uses the same kind of zipper a dry suit uses for scuba diving. I wouldn’t use it as a step like that but I will say it seals up REALLY good. It has a pocket inside to put your keys, wallet and/or phone in can hold two really big fly boxes in it, and a through pocket on the outside to hold your net. My ONLY complaint is the padded strap. Not sure who they made this to fit but the padded area is way to short but the overall strap is pretty long. It has a small piece of the fuzzy Velcro on it the padded shoulder strap to put flies on but it sits by your neck or back when wearing it. Like I said it seals up tight and gets some getting used to but it works great. Mine is grey and I noticed they are now making a non waterproof but similar design (and less expensive) that’s tan with a lot longer shoulder strap. I’d still take mine over that because I don’t have to worry about everything getting soaked in the rain, it fell in, etc.

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Luggage and bags Bag Backpack Font Wood
Luggage and bags Automotive lighting Bag Wood Audio equipment

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve used them all and I personally prefer a backpack. I found with any pack that goes over one shoulder only I would get fatigue in that shoulder and arm. I usually only swing flies and always just drop my pack mid run on the bank. I will use a hip pack for most of my trout fishing but don’t carry much in it.

Andrew

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've used everything from a vest, chest, and hip packs. For years after shoulder surgery I used a hip pack for trout fishing with a single hand rod. I typically use a vest for that type of fishing now - but I try to keep the contents minimal, if I can. For swinging flies, I prefer a hip pack - mine is a waterproof zippered Simms. I can wade deep with it and contents stay dry. I like the freedom of movement in the shoulder area with a hip pack when using a TH rod. I've not tried a sling - mostly because I prefer to evenly distribute the weight on both shoulders. When I'm out all day steelheading far from the truck, I take a waterproof roll top day pack (Patagonia - but lots of others out there too) - never gotten wet inside even in some damn nasty all-day rain/snow. I can carry a rain jacket, extra layer, gloves, lunch, water (or hot water for tea in cold weather) in the pack. It even fits my hip pack. Like Ambest, I usually drop the day pack on the bank and don't fish with it on.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Get into something big that'll hold big weight. Gonna want to get into something big. Ah hell I always say look, get yurself into something big that can hold big gear. Hold big WEIGHT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts