Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing about noon today just below I-5 on the Stilly - the lady Warden came down and checked it out. The 5 or 6 guys above me were fishing spinners and Dick Knights - one dude with a nice fish - 5-6#. They all got ID'd.
She looked at their paperwork, gear, fish. I was 30 yards downstream chucking comets and she didn't even give it more than a glance. She didn't check me at all. Isn't this against the law??

·
Registered
264 Posts
WDFG Profiling?

Whats wrong with the situation? So you didn't get checked. There is no law that says everyone in the area must get checked. Profiling for example would like saying all russians are poachers so I am only going to check russians for their licenses. Don't really see anything wrong with your situation.

Also, there is no such thing as "WDFG" it's the WDFW...

·
Blind hog fisherman
2,895 Posts
WDFG Profiling?

I've chatted with WDFW officers on several occasions while fishing and they've never "checked" me. I guess fly fishing people have reputations for ethics, following the law, and respecting the resource. Nothing new about that.

·
Piscatorial predilection
2,439 Posts
WDFG Profiling?

Dude, get a life! Seriously? you are complaining about a WDFW officer?, a good one at that. who was doing exactly what she was supposed to be doing.
Next time you should run over and offer to show her your license and gear, just to make amends for your crude attempt to sling mud in her direction.

LB

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
WDFG Profiling?

Whats wrong with the situation? So you didn't get checked. There is no law that says everyone in the area must get checked. Profiling for example would like saying all russians are poachers so I am only going to check russians for their licenses. Don't really see anything wrong with your situation.

Also, there is no such thing as "WDFG" it's the WDFW...
Hey, I fly fish and keep getting crap from the Fish and Game Wardens. Oh, my name...now I get it.

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
WDFG Profiling?

I've never been checked, but then again I may look like I don't speak the local language. come to think of it though, kudos for WDFW for getting out there. I don't get to fish much, but in the past 10 years I think I've only seen an officer less than a dozen times.

·
Registered
264 Posts
WDFG Profiling?

I guess fly fishing people have reputations for ethics, following the law, and respecting the resource. Nothing new about that.
I wouldn't say that. It was either the Summer 2009 or 2008 WDFW Enforcement quarterly newsletter that detailed how several WDFW officers did a undercover pontoon boat patrol on the Yakima and out of the roughly 15 fly fishermen they checked, all were in some type of violation. So no fly guys are not always known for following the laws.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
WDFG Profiling?

I've chatted with WDFW officers on several occasions while fishing and they've never "checked" me. I guess fly fishing people have reputations for ethics, following the law, and respecting the resource. Nothing new about that.
I agree. Almost everywhere I go, all the gear fisherman get checked. They'll ask me what fly I'm using, but I have NEVER been asked for a fishing license. If they saw me blatantly breaking the law it would be a different story, but for the most part I believe they assume fly-fisherman are following the rules.

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,371 Posts
WDFG Profiling?

I got checked on the Methow this summer; I think it was only the second time ever in WA. He checked my license and asked if I'd pinched my barb. I thanked him for checking and told him how glad I was to see Enforcement out on the river.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.