Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to come into work on Monday and read how everyone has done over the weekend. Success or failure does not matter, it is the getting out there that counts. For the weekends that I can not get on the water, I like to read about others that did. It gets me through the week and looking forward to the next trip.

I went to my favorite section of the upper Yakima. The wind was blowing 150 mph and I spent the day under the surface with a double nymph setup. I tried a new fly for me which was the San Juan Worm and right away it was slammed by a nice fish. The battle was short, but the adrenaline was pumping. The very next hole down, a nice fish slammed one of the two flies and snapped the line like if were a thread. The next hole down a nice 13-14 inch rainbow took the San Juan, made a jump and was gone. This was either going to be a very successful day or a frustrating day. I managed to land two small rainbows and one whitefish, but I had the opportunity with two dozen hits. Good day. :thumb

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
a continuation of my earlier post after watching the young angler hook into a steelhead we thought we had a better then average chance of getting into some fish..............

We fished the stilly from Oso down about 2 miles with no fish. But it was a great morning with an eagle sighting, many deer and a coyote. A little rainy but a nice time on a great river.

·
Josh Pearson
190 Posts
Here's a good one for ya. i took the family fishing on Saturday up to some small ponds. Emma, my two year old was still trying for her first fish. Well, after the second cast, she had one on. After the battle of her life, she brought to net a beautiful 18" bow. I don't know who was more excited, Emma or me.

josh

·
Registered
407 Posts
Went and floated the Missouri just above Great Falls with a buddy, never saw another FFerman, got a bunch of nice browns and bows, only a few under 16", most fish on hopppers right along the bank. As you guys know by know, I could not resist, and had to get a carp as well. That 150mph wind was blowing over here as well, made rowing and fishing a hoot.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I hiked to within 1/2 mile of Annette Lake on Saturday with my wife and two friends, when one of them tired of the cold, steady rain, turned around and announced that we should probably turn back. I lost by a vote of 3 to one, so we went back to the car. :rofl

So yesterday I took my pontoon boat to Lake Washington and trolled for 8 hours among the whitecaps and occasional rain. I managed catching 4 rainbows about 10-12", and was happy to be out. :)

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Catching bullheads brought back some old memories of when we kids(yes I was young once). We used to fish for tom cod but most of all we caught them bullheads. Well after we caught them we would put them on the beach to get a sun tan. If you used them for bait all you seemed to catch was more of them. Just a thing from one of my past lives.

Jim:smokin

·
Registered
439 Posts
Fished Th/F last week and had good action all day; both days overcast. Best spot was about a dozen netted/released in a few hours; all 16-20"; surface water temp was 60 degrees pretty cool for time of year. I live on the West Side and the wind was blowing hard through Yakima and Ellensburg, but once past George, just a breeze. Driving back Sat. I hit the hurricane again at Vantage.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
On Sunday, we drove over the pass to the Cle Elum River above the lake. We arrived around 12:00 and left around 5:30pm. Didn't see any fish rising, but there were some insects about. Saw caddis cases anchored under the rocks, some possible ovipositing adults, and even a large (yellow?) mayfly fly by 2 seconds before a swallow snarfed it up. The river was moving too fast for wading across. Meanwhile, there was some slower side runs and pools opposite from where we were. Had we crossed the bridge heading towards Cooper Lake, we would have had the time to snoop out the side pools. Despite our lack of fishing success, the riparian zone showed us some interesting wading birds we had never seen before. BTW, her casting showed marked improvement! On to double hauling!

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Actually, it's half a fish story for me this weekend. I still have a hard time fishing. But had a group get together down on the Cowlitz this weekend. Weekend started out slow, but they started hitting steel by late sat/early sun.

Best part of the weekend (I played camp cook since pretty much all I could do) was the food, beverages, and company. I ran my turkey cooker and we deepfried turkey, sturgeon, steelhead, shrimp, oysters, you name it. Lots of food, lots of fun, lots of good people to talk to. I put on a small flytying clinic (though it was VERY short since it kept raining in buckets all dang weekend). Slowly getting some of the guys into flytying, and slowly into flyfishing (though some won't admit it out loud ;) ).

Kind of sad it's over. Wish I had more time. Wasn't as good of fishing as last year, but was still a good time. Hopefully next year I'm not hobbled up. Man, watching these fresh fish being brought in got my juices pumping.

·
Banned
177 Posts
A buddy and I fished in Hood Canal Saturday for SRC. Caught a bunch-- my buddy figures 70 between the two of us, but I would say more like 50. The bad news was that most of them were small-- six to nine inches or so. We caught a couple of decent fish-- 14 inchers. Also saw a couple of whales, maybe resident silvers?, clear the water. Lots of rain where we were, even some lightning but not up close and personal.

Going back to that area tomorrow with my son but we're going to focus on flounder, perch, crab, oysters and have a short try at SRC to see if the dinks are still there in force.

Keith

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I did go out Saturday for a while. Went with Chad from this site. We went to one of his secret places. Off the road down the rocks thru the trees and thru the saw grass to the small creek. I got on about 11" and he got three about 4" to 10". The grass did nothing for me except leave lots of welts and two days later turn into scratches. I looked like I came in second in a knife fight. After that we went to wide open beaver pond and he scored again and all I did was loose a few flies. And all it did all day was rain,but it was fun.

Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
I fished the Methow river a little bit on Saturday near gold creek. Caught a nice cutty about 12", lotsa red down the sides, a nice looking fish. I forgot my camera in the truck so no pics this time, maybe next time.

Later, Brad

Remember: "What ever" always means yes:smokin

·
Registered
844 Posts
I got out for about an hour on Lake Tapps with my dad last night. We fished off his docks for tiger muskie. He caught one (about 8lbs) last week, so I tried hard, even when the rain came in. No muskie for me, but I did manage to snag a hen mallard....embrassing catch, but she put up a good fight and eventually LDR'd herself much to my relief. Hopefully she'll be my only bird caught while fishing this year!

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
Lets see:

Tuesday evening found me in Box Canyon right below the dam. I took a couple dinks and my bud took a nice 19" Bow. Later we all drank scotch, tied flies, and told stories since we hadnt seen one another in years. Wednesday morning we all floated Osbourne Bridge to Riverside. One decent fish and a bunch of 10-12 " Bows. Drank more scotch, tied more flies, and told more lies. Thursday morning some went back to Harriman, I and 2 other fellas floated Box Canyon.....I had the big fish of that day - a 1o" bow right off the bat. Thursday Night we fished the Coffee Pots area with the local Game Warden (a friend of all of ours) We had Green Drakes, PMD's, and Caddis coming off. Lots of little fish. Starting throwing stimulators well into the night picking up 10-12 inch Cutties. Friday Morning some went back to Harriman. I went back to the Coffee Pots and got skunked. Friday night back to the Coffee Pots and I put a serious Hurt on them. Took a 12 inch Brookie, and about 15 12 inch Cutts. No fish on earth that I love more than Yellowstone Cutthroat! What a blast. All in all Friday night I had 30 fish to hand. It was Sweeet and a great way to end a week on the Henry's Fork. Saturday I headed back washington. Sunday morning found me in the Kalama where I hooked and lost my 2nd ever steelhead. And then to ruin it all - today was back to work! Cant wait for next weekend.....I will seek my revenge on lost steelhead.

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
RiverFishing

A friend and I hit the Klickitat at a spot I can't describe since I wasn't driving, but I can say it was a good twenty or more miles upstream of the Columbia and about twenty miles west of Goldendale.

Had to scale down a steep canyon face to the river and settled in for several hours. Rumors were that the first steelies are in the river and some boaters who came though had reports of early-day success. Springers are also in the Klickitat but sais to be upstream, closer to the hatchery. We were passed by about six boats (drift or pontoon) during the day, all gear casters.

At any rate, we caught nummerous smaller trout and more salmon smolt than we can recall, and in fact had to refrain from using anything nymph-like to keep those guys at bay. The weather was unseasonably cool and even down in a canyon we had a lot of wind, but it was gorgeous nevertheless. Water was running strong, cold and nearly clear, though a couple of locals said it might have been higher if it were warmer. Also did some touring late in the day after climbing back out of the canyon to the truck, and this being my first really close look at the Klickitat, have to say it runs through some stunning country up towards the Yakama reservation.

Even with only small fish to show for the day, I have to recommend the Klickitat for those with a desire to explore and enjoy the scenery as well as the fishing. Some of the canyoons are tremendous and there's more access up river than we realized.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Spent the weekend at Leech Lake. Woke up Saturday morning to see snow in the trees not far above camp, and snowflakes landing on my shoulders. Nothing like snow on the first day of summer. The fishing was typical Leech Lake, fantastic. Can't wait to go back when the weather improves.
kurt

·
Registered
216 Posts
Saturday I stopped by my favorite small mountain creek for 15 minutes. I had no waders and just the last fly on my rod. (Size 14 Renegade). I walked the edge of the creek just dipping the fly in the water and managed 3 8-9 inch rainbows. Nothing huge, but a good way to get a quick fishing fix!

- Tom

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
My weekend report.....and a question for Jim

Didnt tom cod become extinct back in the 30's?? :p }( :*

We hooked up the 14 ft aluminum boat with no motor and headed off to a little mountain fly only no motors lakes. It rained the whole 1 hour drive and was raining even harder in the mountains. I had to bum rush the trees and tie up a tarp in record speed so my wife and daughter could have some sort of refuge. Next came the fire, sausages, and smores :thumb . No fishing since it was about 9:30 pm now. The morning came early and still more rain. I started a fire again and began breakfast under the tarp. After breakfast I finally got to fish, but only by myself with my audience sitting in my truck with the heater on observing my inabilities to cast between trees and shrubs and the vertical bank behind me with the monsoon trying to wash me into the lake. First cast, broke off the chiro on the bottom :reallymad ..second cast, caught the tree 20 feet up...broke off again. Third cast, fish on!! But to no avail because my wife was turned the other direction coloring with my daughter and before I got their attention, my third fly was lost due to some unknown reason not related to my inabilities to tie knots in record speed while maintaining my footing on a near vertical mudslide ;). That was the end of my 15 minutes of fame. Needless to say my wife still thinks I tell fishing stories....but it was a blast to get out with my family. My daughter is in Arizona right now and ever time I talk to her on the phone she asks if we can go fishing or camping, or if I went fishing that day. I love it!!!

~Patrick ><>

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.