Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been fishing since Thanksgiving so I felt the pull bad! Fished Saturday in the canyon and sunday up above the cle elum confluence. Saturday was actually a nice day in the canyon. Air was above freezing and the water was right around 39 deg. Started off nymphing at Ringer around 11:00. Nymphed upstream a couple of runs with no luck, then put on a brown wooly bugger and fished back down through the same water. Got two tugs and LDR'd (I picked this moniker for a reason) a heavy fish. After this very scientific experiment, I decided to spend more time fishing the buggers the rest of the day. Drove down near umtanum and slowly and methodically fished a section of river that had riffles, pockets, a slow run; all kinds of water. Landed 3 fish, one around 10", the other two ~13". One was hooked while the bugger was dead drifted, the other two while stripping. I did see some midges coming off and fish were sporadically taking them off the surface. I have never midged before, but I spent almost an hour trying some emerger type patterns, and some dries that didn't really cut it. Closest I had, size wise, was a trico spinner and the fishies didn't like it. Or they didn't like my clumsy, inaccurate casts and drag-laden drifts. I also noticed a few very splashy rises in the middle of the river, but have no idea what the fishies were after. Finished the day fishing just below Bighorn and landed two more beautiful rainbows just before dark. Another right around 13", and an absolute fireball that was 15". I love those acrobatic, tailwalkin fish!

Sunday I hit the upper yak with different results. Covered a lot of water using various nymphs and buggers. Had a heavy fish on for about 4 headshakes, and that was it for the day. Water was colder, around 37 deg., and I didn't see as much midge activity. Still a beautiful day on the river! :thumb

Thats all
LDR

·
Registered
658 Posts
LDR,

Sounds like a lot of fun. I haven't done a lot of fishing with streamers/buggers etc. What kind of technique do you use. Were you using a floating line, sink tip, or sinkinging line? Do you use a weighted bugger, and what kind of leader length are you using. My thoughts are that this is just a more effective way of fishing and opens the door to more and larger trout in the system.

Thanks,

Calvin

·
Registered
315 Posts
Long distance release!

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Calvin,
I have just started using buggers/streamers. There have been some good discussions recently on this board regarding this subject, and some regular posters have much more experience/success with them than I. I think the best way to fish them would be with a sink-tip, but I only have a floater, and it seems to work ok. I use a 9-foot leader plus a foot or 2 of tippet. This last time out I took the suggestion of someone from this board (forget who right now) and placed a split shot right at the bugger. it gives the fly a jigging action, I believe. I fished the fly dead-drift, down-and-across with some twitches, stripping, etc. to try and see what the fish liked. Most hit as the fly was swinging or being stripped, but a couple picked the fly up as it was dead drifted. Hits ranged from very soft to total slams. Its a nice change of pace from the chuck-and-duck-and-watch the indicator fishing, which is the other option this time of year (excepting the midge action of course). Hope this helps, have fun!
LDR (Long distance release)

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

I don't know if you know it but they make sinking leaders in the type 3 and type 6 sink rates,which work very good on getting down to the bottom. They start 8' and work up to 20' or more feet long.

Jim

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestion Jim. I noticed some sinking leaders in cabelas and am thinking about getting some, but waiting to put in a bigger order. Maybe I'll have to stop at Kaufmann's on the way home to see if they have this leader. Also to pick up a new hemostat-seem to be losing a set every time I go out :beathead Time to put some money into the economy I suppose.
LDR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.