Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and I booked a trip yesterday with Weigh West Marine Resort to go fly fishing toward late July in Clayoquot Sound. I was wondering if anyone has done this trip or fished in the Clayoquot sound.

Any info would be helpful.

thanks
FC

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I've been up there six times, fished with wegh west every time. Qite simply, the best salwater flyfishing in the NW, and WW will take good care of you. take lots of clousers, chartreuse and white, pink and white, and orange and white, in that order. and some smaller baitfish patterns (although 99% of my fish have come to the clousers). Let your line swing and sink with the current and then start a slow to medium fast strip of foot long pulls, and don't be afraid to occasionally mix it up with some jigs and pauses. Take polaroids and watch close; you'll get a lot of follows all the way to the boat.

You'll want an 8-weight and a 300-grain shooting head, and possibly an intermediate if you get lucky and fish are near the top. Most of the time you'll want to be getting down 10'- 20'in 20' to 40' feet of water, fishing tide rips and structure like washrocks and kelp beds, but again, their fish master will help keep you over fish.

Also, don't pass up the rockfish in between tides or when the coho get snotty. A good kelp bed will give up dozens of fish per hour, seriously. the rockfish will range up to 5-6 pounds, and you could score a ling up to 20. Probasco half-a-rabbits, clousers, and a pattern I call the Jumbo Flying Squid (email for tying directions) in white, orange, chartreuse, purple, or black, will all work.

Clayoquot is one of the most beautiful places you'll ever see, and Tofino is pretty fun (lots of surfers and hippies - don't harsh any mellows), if you can drag yourself off the water.

(Check an article in NW Fly fishing a year or so back.)

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Ray did a great job of saying it all!

I've been there a couple of times. Those folks up there at Weigh West know what service is all about! Shawn Bennett is one of the nicest people I think I've ever met, and he ties incredible flies and knows how to saltwater fish! You will be treated wonderfully. The food at the restaurant is awesome. With your package you get meal tickets at the restaurant; you go in and order whatever you want, however much you want from the menu. And, their Blue Heron (I hope that's the right name) restaurant is almost like a Ray's Boathouse/Anthony's (here in Seattle) quality kind of place. And, if you want more everyday, but great tasting, kind of grub, go over to their pub restaurant. It's fun to sit in there and check out the local "color".

I fished there the first of August this past year, and each of my two full days I fished our boat averaged 20 fish caught, and 20+ fish lost (I hate to admit). The average coho was about 8 pounds, with the largest about 12. That's a whole lot of saltwater fish.

The fish aren't leader shy. Take (and use) 15# Maxima. That's what Shawn Bennett recommended, and it worked great. Also take an extra rod or two along, so you can have a couple of different flies set up, and just in case of snappage.

If you ever want to chat about it and need more info, you can contact me at [email protected]. Jeez, I'm getting all worked up thinking about the place! Some friends of mine and I wanted to go, but the amount of boats needed weren't availabe for the dates we could go. ;( But, I'm still trying to squeeze in some time for just me, anyway.

FISH ON, BABY!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.