Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after months of trying to find a used raft trailer (that will fit in my tiny garage), I've decided to build one from a standard 5x10 utility trailer. I've found a used one online, and I'm heading down to Portland this week to pick it up. I want to add a deck, roller bar, and a winch, which will essentially turn it into a deckover with storage underneath.

Because the tongue is A-frame style, with a cross bar running perpendicular, a standard winch post with a mounting bracket is probably out of the question. Can anyone recommend a welder in the Seattle area that could weld a winch post to the crossbar for a reasonable price? I know a few folks have had custom trailers built, so I'm hoping someone is willing to chime in. The tongue is exactly the same as below.

Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to circumvent having to weld, let me know as it would be nice to be able to remove the winch.

Attachments

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
What's your timeline? I'm pretty busy at the moment but 2 weeks out my schedule is a bit more clear, otherwise my cousin has a shop in snohomish and I can check to see his availability. Both of us have the tools and experience to be messing with your trailer. Beware of many "welders."

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's your timeline? I'm pretty busy at the moment but 2 weeks out my schedule is a bit more clear, otherwise my cousin has a shop in snohomish and I can check to see his availability. Both of us have the tools and experience to be messing with your trailer. Beware of many "welders."
Thanks for the reply man. No timeline at the moment really. Still need to pick up the trailer in Portland this week, and I'm out of town next weekend. So realistically sometime in two/three weeks. I imagine it will be about as simple of a weld as you can get, but I know nothing about welding, so I could be wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.