Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fishon
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 5 wt all around Trout fly fishing set up, also for lakes etc.
Got my 6 wt for summer runs and src at the beaches

Will get an 8wt for rivers - winter / fall salmon
Will get a far casting beach/surf spinning rod for salwater salmon for places like pnp where I need to just haul a lure out there to catch the fish.

IMHO it's just too much effort fly fishing a place like that where one can't be certain if there are fish or not, unlike a beach that you know has src. Casting an 8wt fly rod and line into uncertainty just isn't my game.

I'm a sight fly fisher first, a structure reader, a down and dirty indicator nymph rig chucker, and a wet fly swinger, a dead drift dry fly, dead drift wet/subsurface addict.

But most of all I enjoy catching fish in a way that is most enjoyable to me. So unless I'm hitting the salt for src, I'll be hitting the salt with a spinning rod, it just makes more sense to me.

I think that will cover all my WA ff needs. Funny, it's a little more complicated here with all the target species possibilities.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Well, I think I've got my WA fishing game plan figured out...it includes a spin s

:thumb: Amen. My only thought, you never need to justify using spin gear. I own spinning gear, lots of it, I use it and I like it. Period. If anything it has made me a better fly fisher.

·
Fishon
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I think I've got my WA fishing game plan figured out...it includes a spin s

I started bait, then moved to spinning gear, then moved to fly fishing (in CO and MT there really is no need for spin gear) and now I'll do both. I had a nice beach spin rod some time ago but it disappeared, I have an ultra light (always have one for when the kids are with).

Does anyone have any good forum recommendations for beach fishing with spin gear?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts

I have a back-up spin rod for PNP for those days where you get there and the wind is howling in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts

Most of what I do with a fly rod I did with a spin rod first. You work cover and other areas the same and all the execution is very similar. "Seeing" your presentation with your hands when it's underwater works the same. And perhaps the most important is locating fish...universal but it's still 80% or more of fly fishing. That 100 ft cast with sharkline and this week's premier pattern won't get you much in empty water.

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts

We were speculating the other day that a spinning rig with a clear casting bubble and staging period fly might be good way to reach distant coho. Haven't tried it though.

·
Fishon
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yeah, I can get pretty creative. Previously I have taken castmaster lures and removed the hook, then tie aswivel and 1ft of tippet behind it and attached a fly to it. It was my solution to fly fishing with my ultra-light spin rod. The cast master gets it out there and the fly hooks the fish. I seem to have more confidence in flies then hardware. I caught a few src's that way. But the fly sometimes got tangled to the castmaster. If I can figure out how to rig it so it won't I may have a worthy pnp fly/spin cast combo! Then you can have a flasher (attractor) / bait like combo. ;)

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts

good one Larry How many spin rigs do you have hidden in the garage?

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts

We were speculating the other day that a spinning rig with a clear casting bubble and staging period fly might be good way to reach distant coho. Haven't tried it though.
Casting bubbles with tippet and a fly is what I've used to introduce my daughers. At 5 and 7 they now both have their own ultralight spinning setup with the casting bubbles and Echo Gecko fly rods.

Regardless, Mr. Alexander the Great, fish how you like where you like within the regulations and enjoy yourself. If you do as well with other species as you've done with Sea Run Cutthroat Trout you will be a pretty busy guy.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

I use bait casting gear for fishing bass - because.... that's what you should use. It's the best tool for the job. I use a fly rod for presenting tiny ass little flies that I can barely see, because....that's what you should use.

Everyone has their own preference, but that's all it is.... what's that one slice of wisdom? Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.
heh.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts

Sounds like you will have all your bases covered. Just a thought, don't discount fly fishing the salt based on recent experience at PNP. I know what you mean about casting to the unknown, however this year thats pretty much been the case with any method of fishing at PNP and surrounding areas. None of the gear guys I know fishing from the beaches have had great success this year either. Last year, when there seemed to be silvers a plenty, I didn't see the gear guys out fish the fly guys by a huge margin at any of my usual beach haunts. But by all means, do what makes you happy. After all, that's what it's all about. Don't ever let anything other than your own happiness dictate how you fish, and you certainly don't need to justify it to anyone.

Nick

·
CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
1,540 Posts

I would love to say that in most places (rivers) where I cast a line for Coho, my most often used rod is a spinning rod/reel. You just cant get them slivers to bite a fly no matter what. and i have seen way too many coho slam a big fat plug and ignore any thing else.
that said i still keep trying.

·
Registered
123 Posts

JesseCFowl, Dave Whitlock has a video out, "Fly fishing for Bass" and in it he says bass are the most popular fish to fish for and the fly rod is the most fun way to fish so why not put the 2 together. I have ofter outfished some of my bass casting friends with my fly rod. Just sayin'
Just try it. You just might like it.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

JesseCFowl, Dave Whitlock has a video out, "Fly fishing for Bass" and in it he says bass are the most popular fish to fish for and the fly rod is the most fun way to fish so why not put the 2 together. I have ofter outfished some of my bass casting friends with my fly rod. Just sayin'
Just try it. You just might like it.
Sounds like a challenge to a duel if you ask me! You up for it? :)

·
I hope she likes whitefish
1,724 Posts

While I've never done it....yet, I can't wait to throw on a bobber, jig, and bead on my spey rod and waltz up to a nice run with lots of people in it and watch the look on their face. :) I'm a filthy, dirty, blasphemer, that loves to catch fish. I'm from the camp of, do-what-works too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.