Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
With the forecasted winds today and the potential for some really strong gust later in the day my son and I scraped our planed hunt on Skagit bay in our "little boats" for plan B.

Plan B was a switch to a field hunt for snow geese. As I left the house my younger lab was left at the door with a "long face". Our plan was for an outing for the young labs of my son (2 years old) and a friend and his 10 month old lab. We put out a nice spread of snow geese decoys with a few dark geese and mallard decoys mixed in one corner of the spread. While putting out the decoys we had a nice 15 to 29 mph breeze giving a nice look to the wind sock spread. However 5 minutes after shooting time the wind died and we hunted in near dead calm conditions. However things worked out well with plenty of excitement and work for the young dogs. Before 9 o'clock (2 hours after legal shooting time) we had our 12 geese on the ground as well as a couple bonus mallards. The geese were a nice mixture of snows, whitefronts and cacklers. Both my son and myself completed the trifecta of all 3 goose species - a first for both of us!

Waterfowl 2016 started with a bang and am looking forward to another enjoyable season.

Curt

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Congrats on a banner day, Curt! We rarely see snows around here, but a few cacklers occasionally pass through. I used to love hunting Snows when I was a kid back in Montana. Occasionally, I'll go out now with a younger friend or two, but my frequent & long waterfowl days are behind me I fear. Have a great year!

·
born to work, forced to fish
5,278 Posts
With the forecasted winds today and the potential for some really strong gust later in the day my son and I scraped our planed hunt on Skagit bay in our "little boats" for plan B.

Plan B was a switch to a field hunt for snow geese. As I left the house my younger lab was left at the door with a "long face". Our plan was for an outing for the young labs of my son (2 years old) and a friend and his 10 month old lab. We put out a nice spread of snow geese decoys with a few dark geese and mallard decoys mixed in one corner of the spread. While putting out the decoys we had a nice 15 to 29 mph breeze giving a nice look to the wind sock spread. However 5 minutes after shooting time the wind died and we hunted in near dead calm conditions. However things worked out well with plenty of excitement and work for the young dogs. Before 9 o'clock (2 hours after legal shooting time) we had our 12 geese on the ground as well as a couple bonus mallards. The geese were a nice mixture of snows, whitefronts and cacklers. Both my son and myself completed the trifecta of all 3 goose species - a first for both of us!

Waterfowl 2016 started with a bang and am looking forward to another enjoyable season.

Curt
We had the reverse over here in the Basin. Took some wind-ducks out today for additional motion but the winds forecasted never appeared. There wasn't even enough wind to move the regular decoys around. The rain did happen though.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
We had the reverse over here in the Basin. Took some wind-ducks out today for additional motion but the winds forecasted never appeared. There wasn't even enough wind to move the regular decoys around. The rain did happen though.
Bill do yourself a favor and chuck those winducks out the window on the way home. They dont look good and they don't work good. If you insist on a spinner get a pull string.

·
born to work, forced to fish
5,278 Posts
Bill do yourself a favor and chuck those winducks out the window on the way home. They dont look good and they don't work good. If you insist on a spinner get a pull string.
I may look at converting them over to a string. On Friday I was thinking the windducks would be spinning too fast for what we want. Right now I don't want to spend $120 or so for a jerk string duck.

Sorry to hear about the skunk. I should tell you the story about how I shot one with an arrow as a kid.

·
Saved by the buoyancy of citrus
2,393 Posts
I see what your saying. I was using the wrong name for the jerk spinner. I have the item you posted but the pond bottom was too soft yesterday to put it where we wanted it. I thought I was going to have to retrieve my hunting partner when he sank in.
Soft bottoms is no bueno. We had a few incidents with sinkholes back in NE; my dad went in up to his neck once. Noooooo good.
The duck hunting, however, was phenomenal.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.