Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Well That Was Fun, Duck Stuff

Tags
fun stuff was
5K views 40 replies 14 participants last post by  The T.O. Show 
#1 ·
#3 ·
With the forecasted winds today and the potential for some really strong gust later in the day my son and I scraped our planed hunt on Skagit bay in our "little boats" for plan B.

Plan B was a switch to a field hunt for snow geese. As I left the house my younger lab was left at the door with a "long face". Our plan was for an outing for the young labs of my son (2 years old) and a friend and his 10 month old lab. We put out a nice spread of snow geese decoys with a few dark geese and mallard decoys mixed in one corner of the spread. While putting out the decoys we had a nice 15 to 29 mph breeze giving a nice look to the wind sock spread. However 5 minutes after shooting time the wind died and we hunted in near dead calm conditions. However things worked out well with plenty of excitement and work for the young dogs. Before 9 o'clock (2 hours after legal shooting time) we had our 12 geese on the ground as well as a couple bonus mallards. The geese were a nice mixture of snows, whitefronts and cacklers. Both my son and myself completed the trifecta of all 3 goose species - a first for both of us!

Waterfowl 2016 started with a bang and am looking forward to another enjoyable season.

Curt

#22 ·
How did you smoke it?
they're real hard to get lit, but once they're going, kinda taste like a good Honduran blend.......:D

I've just finished deer season, which sadly was a total waste thanks to the idiots we had rolling into where we were camped, "sighting in" their rifles, yelling and screaming at dogs/kids/each other, and running their generators all night. Does aplenty, but nothing with antlers. As soon as I get the camping gear cleaned up and put away, it's time to trot the AquaPod out to Rocky Ford!

#25 ·
Sorry about the undesirable company, Alex but it wasn't a total bust - you got out & I'm sure you folks created some good memories. I never had the "pleasure" of hunting a WA general season - I stuck with bow season; while there was the occasional vexation to the spirit, most folks I encountered were a much more congenial & courteous lot.

#29 ·
Duck brine for smoked duck,
Few splashes of apple cider, 2 cloves garlic, 1 crushed bay leaf, 1 tbsp fresh cracked peppercorn, 1 cup kosher salt, sprinkle Italian seasoning.
Soak long time, take out, pat dry, coat in bacon grease, smoke
Now all I need is ducks or geese. I may have to dust-off the old SBE . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.