Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Should be OlympiaFarq now...
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks,

I do the vast majority of my fishing on the west side (the Snoqualmie forks, Cedar, and Green being my Top 3) and I prefer dry flies over anything else. Now that we're sure we'll be able to fish those rivers at some point this summer, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a swap. I originally suggested limiting the swap to dries, but I've opened it up for broader appeal. Here's my (EDITED) suggestion:
  • 5-10 people (I'll commit to running it at 5 and limit it to a max of 10)
  • 2 different patterns each. They can be dries, emergers, nymphs, or streamers (dries/emergers preferred!).
  • Patterns can be a surprise. Just keep them fairly small (#10 or smaller?) since the focus is west side streams, although I'm not going to be a stickler. If you want to throw in your favorite big one for the Yakima or somewhere else, have at it.
  • Deadline of two weeks post-close of the swap.
I've never done one of these before, so let me know if I missed something. All of the pointers above are merely suggestions, so let me know if you have input.

Steve

·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not getting much love here. Two options: 1) I expand the swap to include emergers and/or nymphs to attract more interest, or 2) we do three or four patterns each and I'll run it with just the three of us. What say ye @Bajema and @Philonius ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not getting much love here. Two options: 1) I expand the swap to include emergers and/or nymphs to attract more interest, or 2) we do three or four patterns each and I'll run it with just the three of us. What say ye @Bajema and @Philonius ?
(1) You posted the first weekend of June, a time that may be competition with graduation celebrations and other post-"school's out" family outings.
(2) Also, you're still new around here, and some potential swappers might be hesitant about working with an unknown swapmeister.

You're not asking me, but I'd give it a bit more time before closing it.

·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@bugsby Thanks. I didn't think about the end of school element. Generally speaking, I didn't know what to expect as far as a timeline for getting a group together. I'll be more patient!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'd suggest keeping it open a bit longer too. The fact that you're new means nothing to me; maybe because I'm kind of a newbie myself, but mostly because..... so what?
Opening the swap to other categories might help. even though dries are the bread and butter of westside creeks, sometimes it takes more. I need to tie up some attractors, and was thinking of cheating and contributing something that bends the rules a bit.
Whatever works out; I'm OK.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
By my count there are four of us. Might as well live it up and go with three patterns. That's only nine flies beyond what you'd keep for yourself. I can manage that in a few weeks.

·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So a total of 9 flies of each pattern for a total of 27 flies?

Sounds good.
Oops. I guess that was confusing. I meant one fly for each of the three patterns (so in total you would tie 3 of each fly). Multiples of each fly would be great, but 27 seems like a lot. Let's do two of each instead (that makes for 18 flies). I'll change the instructions.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.