Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:DUNNO I have recently started enjoying fly fishing Puget Sound. I am learning a lot and have a ways to go.
On top of my list today is learning the dangers if any, of wet wading in the Sound. I really enjoy the way the water feels on my legs. I see jellyfish. I scrape my shins against barnicles sometimes. So far it has been all good and no harm. If I fish enough, I am bound to get a jellyfish sting sometime. Are the stings of PS jellyfish dangerous? Are there other critters I should be concerned about?
Thanks in advance.
Roll Cast
Think Good Thoughts
Play as if Life were the prize

·
Registered
729 Posts
those reddish lanky ones and the ones with the yellow yolk in the middle always had me weary, and I've had 2 nasty encounters with sea lions in the last year. but I dont even wear waders any more, just a back pack, a orvis fly basket, canvas shoes with no socks, and cut off camouflage shorts up to my knees in eel grass and dungees at my ankles and LOVE IT. but I'm a taller lad so I can get away with the no waders. people see me at day break in the fall almost everyday before work and think I'm nuts. all in all pleasure craft wakes are the enemy when fishin from the beach. Ben

·
previously micro brew
4,662 Posts
Roll Cast:

I have fished the salt, waded for dungeness / rock crabs and scuba dove in Puget Sound for 40+ years, never had a problem with jelly fish. I do remember removing the tentacles from the line and lures (with unprotected fingers/hands)when they become really thick. I wouldn't worry too much about the jellyfish. As far as other critters, don't worry, nothing that I know if that will hurt you when wading, except broken bottles / glass. Do watch out for those little "horns on the cottids ("bull heads") and dorsal spin on ratfish (you should not be catching this one).

·
Registered
319 Posts
Rollcast,

None of the jellyfish found in Puget Sound appear to be "dangerous" in the sense that their toxins aren't known for causing the life threatening anaphylactic reactions as some jellyfish found in warmer climates (e.g. Portugese Man-Of-War.) That's not to say the nematocyst stings aren't uncomfortable and that some folks aren't more tolerable to the toxin than others. Probably the most dangerous jellyfish in the Sound is the Lion's Mane jellyfish (http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/race/media/photo_gallery/invert_files/Lion's_mane_jellyfish.htm)A sting from this is described as a "bee sting" and although several deaths have been associated with this species, none were apparently from Puget Sound.

Maybe someone from the UW Fisheries Science Dept (staff or student) frequents this list and can provide additional comment. :DUNNO

Greg

·
Registered
805 Posts
I heard the same about urine and stings....one caution I have is large freighter wakes - if you take extra gear, drop it above the high tide line. I got cleaned out last year at Point no Point when the waves went over the rocks and onto the grass lawn at the light house.....the freighter did cut the the point very close, 6-8 foot waves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.