Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im heading to the Mo in early July and am starting to pump out the flees. What do you guys like?
I've never fished it before but am a pretty decent spring creek angler and fly tier.

Thanks for all your help and pretty pictures

·
Director of Stoke
1,687 Posts
Sounds like you are looking forward to some match-the-hatch fishing. Depending upon weather, flows, etc. early July can mean PMD's and/or caddis. In a typical year caddis really get going in mid-July. Watch the flow and read the reports to stay up to date, but be prepared for both. For the caddis, #16 emergers in a tan, and low lying adults like x-caddis are great. Spent caddis patterns can be good mid-day. Its more about the presentation than the fly. Our most productive caddis over the years has been a fly we came up with almost 30 years ago on the Mo' that somewhat resembles a floating hare's ear. The key is to feed it down and across to the risers.

For PMD's, which can be a real %^$#ing pain anywhere, I'm partial to the patterns from my friends at Blue Ribbon Flies, like the Foam Emerger, Improved Sparkle Dun and DOA Cripple below.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are nice ones! Do you have a picture of the 30 year old caddis pattern or is that a closely guarded secret?

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
I'm really partial to the one that work well ;). Think small, long leaders, look for pods in slack water, and refer to post #2.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Sounds like you are looking forward to some match-the-hatch fishing. Depending upon weather, flows, etc. early July can mean PMD's and/or caddis. In a typical year caddis really get going in mid-July. Watch the flow and read the reports to stay up to date, but be prepared for both. For the caddis, #16 emergers in a tan, and low lying adults like x-caddis are great. Spent caddis patterns can be good mid-day. Its more about the presentation than the fly. Our most productive caddis over the years has been a fly we came up with almost 30 years ago on the Mo' that somewhat resembles a floating hare's ear. The key is to feed it down and across to the risers.

For PMD's, which can be a real %^$#ing pain anywhere, I'm partial to the patterns from my friends at Blue Ribbon Flies, like the Foam Emerger, Improved Sparkle Dun and DOA Cripple below.

Nice.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts

If these are your ties.... I hate you.

:p

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
My best fishing bud has his "secret caddis" that sounds exactly as you described. He pretty much only fishes the Missouri.
And the Spokane river, which if you know where to go and when, can yield some seriouslynice fish.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
My 3 flies for the Mo would be the same as any other river (in late August/September):

Black, Blacker and Blackest

Serious though, sometimes we as fly fisherman can over complicate the issue.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 3 flies for the Mo would be the same as any other river (in late August/September):

Black, Blacker and Blackest

Serious though, sometimes we as fly fisherman can over complicate the issue.
What would they be for early July?

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
What would they be for early July?
Yah, I kinda fudged there, sorry.

Great suggestions above, but there are two flies that I'd fish without fail on the Mo, and one I always have with me no matter where I go.

It's many, many years, and my buddy actually gets credit for figuring out the first one.

The first one I hate fishing because it's, well - a midge, size 20-22. Look for large "pods" trailing off of clumps of grass. Sit and watch for about 20-30 minutes. You'll see things you've never seen before. Huge bows and browns "gatoring" the mass clumps of midges.

Pick up on their "timing" of feeds, and toss you middle of a clump in the path of their feeding lane. More than likely, you won't land a single one of them, but hey...

The second is a must, a black ant. Not the big gawdy foam things that resemble nothing more than an art project gone wrong, but a simple black ant pattern, maybe a size of a Carpenter ant, and one with wings (even though the flying ant hatch will be long gone - they still work).

The third one - I tie an X Adams Parachute. Basically, it's just a Parachute Adams, with an X Caddis tail.

If you are a spring creek fisher, that's a HUGE plus! Those skills will be "tested" and refined. You'll get frustrated, but because you have that experience, you will okay in the end. I'm assuming you know what I mean. Give yourself some time to be amazed at the size of the fish in there.

Like a spring creek, be.....p...a...t...i...e...n...t

But I'm "preaching to the choir", right? :p

Reactions: 11961 and creekx

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brown Wood Glass bottle Liquid Tints and shades
Even though I've been to "church" many times I always enjoy and can benefit from some good honest preachin'..!
Just tied a few "iris Caddis " something I have never fished but really like the looks of it. I used rockchuck for the head- good gaurd hairs!

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
View attachment 137727 Even though I've been to "church" many times I always enjoy and can benefit from some good honest preachin'..!
Just tied a few "iris Caddis " something I have never fished but really like the looks of it. I used rockchuck for the head- good gaurd hairs!
Nice, that will work anywhere.

:)

·
Director of Stoke
1,687 Posts
If you are a spring creek fisher, that's a HUGE plus! Those skills will be "tested" and refined. You'll get frustrated, but because you have that experience, you will okay in the end. I'm assuming you know what I mean. Give yourself some time to be amazed at the size of the fish in there.
^^^This is where it's at.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
The iris caddis can be great on flat water.

One of me best days on the MO came about just by watching a back eddy. There were a number of brows swimming around and feeding on something sub surface. I put on a small pt nymph cast it into the back eddy and gave it a short strip retrieve just like sea run fishing caught several nice fish that way..

I bet swinging some old classic wet flies would be a good way to spend the early mornings before the hatch.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The iris caddis can be great on flat water.

One of me best days on the MO came about just by watching a back eddy. There were a number of brows swimming around and feeding on something sub surface. I put on a small pt nymph cast it into the back eddy and gave it a short strip retrieve just like sea run fishing caught several nice fish that way..

I bet swinging some old classic wet flies would be a good way to spend the early mornings before the hatch.
Hey Rob!
I must employ this swinging ...if its effective it may be the only technique is use!! but, if the hatch is coming off, well then.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.