Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read lots of fishing books in recent years and really liked the following three;
  • Travers Corner (series)
  • Trout Madness
  • Under Cottonwoods
What is you vote for the "top three" fishing related books? Or, if you read other books, share those with us.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
I'm reading often and really liked these. Beloved Waters, The Soft Hackled Fly, Trout From Small Streams, and Fly Fishing the Mountain Lakes. I think everyone ought to read Found in a River, and An Anglers Astoria. I also read quite a bit of fiction And of course the "Fly Fishing Coastal Cutthroat Trout' Bob

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I'm currently flipping through a Tom Sheppard book on vehicle dependant travel (overlanding expeditions,) recently finished some stuff by Jeffrey Sachs, Chalmers Johnson, and Jared Diamond, and just ordered some field guides on geology, plants, and birds. I figured that plant/tree/bug idenitifcation will give me something to do in between my long spells of not hooking fish.

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,350 Posts
Any John Gierach book, I've read nearly all of them now.....just finished "Standing in a River Waving a Stick" and "Still Life with Brook Trout. I like how-to books. So I re-read his "Fly Fishing Small Streams" over and over again. I also give Jeff Morgan's "Small Stream Fly Fishing" the same treatment.

·
Registered
115 Posts
"The Longest Silence" by Thomas McGuane, probably one of my all time favorites. Any of John Gierach's stuff is a good read. Also, anyone who is a fan of Norman Maclean's "A River....Through It" needs to check out his other works too. Really good stuff that reminds me a lot of good Hemingway (there is a lot of bad Hemingway in my opinion).

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Westerns. Nothing in the fishing dept. though. I find reading about fishing and catching fish to depressing.

Jim
OM, read Scott Waldie's trilogy Traver's Corner, he's from Twin Bridges and the storyline only has very small doses of fishing.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
"A Good Life Wasted or Twenty Years As A Fishing Guide" was a fun book I read last year. I enjoyed the "River Why" also. I've read all of Johin Gierach's that I know of. I've tried some Thomas McGuane but haven't stuck with it. I picked up some of Ed Engle's and found them worth reading. They have been more informative than entertaining.

I think John G. is the only auther that can write an entire chapter about Walking Sticks and not lose his audience.

·
Learned skills from George Dickel
483 Posts
I've really liked the Steve Raymond book "Steelhead Country" that I've been reading last week. There was a great collection of writings from older writers like Norman Maclean, Zane Grey and Rudyard Kipling in a book called "Northwest Fly Fishing", edited by someone named Love or something, out of Oregon. The best selections in that are actually the newer ones, but nearly every essay is great. That book on Steelhead fishing on the Olympic Penninsula is good, too.Can't recall tha author's name, but he's been around NW fishing for years.

Update: I looked up the info after posting. the essays book is "Fishing the Northwest" edited by Glen Love and OSU Press, The Olympic Steelheading book is by Doug Rose

·
2,882 Posts
Full Creel by Nick Lyons and anything by Roderick Haig Brown. I second The Longest Silence and anything by Steve Raymond. Another couple of books of outstanding fiction are The Earth is Enough and On the Spine of Time by Harry Middleton. The prose is so good even non-fly fishermen would like it. I actually spend way more time reading history than fishing, but that another story.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Full Creel by Nick Lyons and anything by Roderick Haig Brown. I second The Longest Silence and anything by Steve Raymond. Another couple of books of outstanding fiction are The Earth is Enough and On the Spine of Time by Harry Middleton. The prose is so good even non-fly fishermen would like it. I actually spend way more time reading history than fishing, but that another story.
Yup, several on your short list, are runners up on mine -- for sure R.H. Brown, read his season series. Likewise, I enjoyed 'The Earth is Enough' and 'On the Spine of Time' . There were several listed by others I've not heard of and will have to check them out. I read history, but just can't seem to get into them back to back. My brother reads history at exhaustion (he's like a walking encylopedia!). Thanks for sharing everyone.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I tried reading a book by R. H. Brown. I checked it out of the library. I couldn't read it. To dry. I like a book to reach out and grab you in the first few pages and his didn't. SO back to the shelf it went..

I have also tried a few others. The one by Doug Rose on the OP for Cutthroat was good for me.

But like I said. Reading about fishing don't put me there and I'll probably never get there either. SO it doesn't interest me.

Jim

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
One of my favorite series is Lefty's Little Library when it come to fihing. There are 25 volumes by Lefty Krey covering just about everything flyfishing. I also like Steelhead Flyfishing by Trey Combs and many others in my library. As a teacher, I have to read constantly so I have read literally hundreds of childrens books so I can make recommendations to my students and talk to them about their choices. One of my favorites is Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Michaelson. It goes far beyond the childrens level in its wisdom. And, I am constantly reading for my own pleasure; Tom Clancy, Mitch Albom, John Grishom, J. A. Jance, and many others. The Road by Cormac McCarthy was quite interesting if not black. I've ordered a "Nook" electronic book reader so I can take books with me when I go on fishing expeditions to Alaska, Mexico, and other places. The only challenge will be finding the books I want in e-book format.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.