Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have not yet tried copper. However, I prefer amber over the darker shades.

Regards,

Andrew

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Couple of thoughts here. If you have to ware 'glasses' the 'Cocoons' (sp?) are the 'cat's meow.' About $40 a set and do exactly as advertised. Have two sets, one has a light green (Amber?) lens, the other 'shooters yellow' for over cast conditions. The ear pieces are wide and block glare coming in off the side (there are small lens' on the side); better yet, if you have a heck of an up/down stream wind they keep this from blowing across your eyes (you tear up if you're an old guy).

For the money, couldn't ask for a better product.

fae

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
I'll back Fred up on this. I own two pair each of Fitovers and Cocoons and both are excellent products for the money. For general mid day fishing I like the Cocoons amber lenses best but for dark days, late evening fishing or driving on cloudy days the yellow lenses can't be beat. Get a Croakies neck strap or something similar to retain them while you are fishing but don't trust the rubber fitting to always keep it in place. Use your fly tying bobbin to whip finish a secure grip over the rubber piece and you will never have the neckstrap come loose.

Ive

·
Registered
309 Posts
Different color lenses are needed for different light, water, bottom, and target conditions and they make a huge difference. I carry a minimum of three different color lenses when fishing for a day and I wil frequently check to ensure the best glass is being used. The most expensive lenses are often the least useful...

Salmon fishing is the real test...
art

·
Newb seeking wisdom
726 Posts
Amber polarized photocromatic lenses are by far the best type of lenses for looking through water in variable weather conditions
Agreed.
I have winter fishing glasses like those described above...Action optics in GLASS
Summer, somewhat darker copper.
You can get prescription Action Optics.
Visit their website.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My wife works at an eyeglasses shop and found me lenses called Eagle 375. They are polarized and amber or green depending on the light. I lost one pair in the locked gate parking area of the Deschutes, liked/missed them so much I had her make me another!

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Blue? Really?! Are you talking for the flats or blue water? I might want to try this.
I've used both my amber and blue color on saltwater, but the blue seems better to me, particularly if the water is clear with light colored bottom. Quite honestly, so long as their of good quality and polarized lens, I think we're splittin frog hair.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Rose / copper polarized photocromatic 'scrip lenses, work well for me up to dusk

·
still an authority on nothing
2,194 Posts
Copper variable tint Action Optics (Smith now)
25-65%
I can see ladies' underwear with them, just like in the comix.

·
1,411 Posts
Everyone is spot on with the type and color selection.

During morning hours or cloudy days Amber (copper, orange, yellow) shades are the best.
Bright sunny days the darker (blue, grey) shades are supposed to be more effective on the water.

And then, but not least, it boils down to personal preference.

G

·
Everyone is spot on with the type and color selection.

During morning hours or cloudy days Amber (copper, orange, yellow) shades are the best.
Bright sunny days the darker (blue, grey) shades are supposed to be more effective on the water.

And then, but not least, it boils down to personal preference.
Ditto, iagree.

Just make sure they are 100% UVA & UVB blocking, otherwise you WILL end up with long term eyesight problems and possible temporary headaches.

·
Banned
9 Posts
I used to mess around with clip on polaroids etc but now I wear Brown lens Optilab prescription wrap around polaroid sun glasses amde for the French special forces.
They are amazing quality and cut through the glare very well.
Probably one of my best fishing tools.
Some one in the US must also do the same sort of glasses.

If not http://www.optilabs.com/

slàinte mhath (cheers)

Munro

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.