Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spend about 8 months a year in my camper travelling around fishing and hanging out. I started making a list of the stuff that I carry with me more out of my own curiosity. As it's getting to be the time of year to think about venturing off beyond the Great Beyond, I thought I'd share it to possibly make others think about things that come in handy when you're not near a hardware store or Wal-mart.

Here's my list:

An assortment of screws, nails, nuts, bolts and metal and rubber washers.
A handful of assorted hose clamps and some assorted copper in-line connectors and a few 16 inch pieces of assorted rubber hose in the sizes of your propane, water and drain lines.
4 small pinch clamps.
Clothes pins.
A spare lid for a milk jug and the jug holding your favoured beverage. Handy to have as I have learned when you accidentally melt the one it came with. Of course the alternative is to drink the contents.
Assorted rope, string and parachute cord.
Plumber's tape.
Teflon tape.
Red tuck tape.
Duct tape (makes a great fire starter as it burns really well).
15 feet of looped-end cable and a padlock.
An extra padlock keyed the same.
Epoxy.
Wood glue.
Small tube of contact cement.
2-inch adhesive-backed industrial velcro.
Disposable gloves.
Work gloves.
Bolt cutters.
Spare boot laces.
FiberFix repair wrap.
I also have an epoxy based marine sealant that is suppose to be bullet proof but I fortunately haven't had to use it yet.
Clear marine grade silicone and caulking gun.
Putty knife.
Safety razor blades.
Heavy duty utility knife and spare blades in the handle.
Lots of sharp pocket knives.
Shoe Goo.
Aqua-Seal
Foam weather stripping for around the escape hatch over the bunk.
A couple of small battery powered fans to help dry out moisture in corners and cabinets.
3 personal flares.
Rubber coated flex tie - this comes on a small card you can find in the gardening section of discount stores. Great for wrapping up stuff.
An 8 inch level.
A tin cake pan. Good in case you have a leak.
Two Rubbermaid wash tubs. One's a bit smaller so it fits in the other.
Extendable loping shears. Good for pruning the brush where you want to park.
Folding swede saw.
Chainsaw and premixed fuel.
File, chainsaw wrench and spare spark plug for the saw.
Safety glasses.
Magnifying glass and reading glasses - a necessity for us old men.
5 gallons of water in case I run dry.
A solar shower.
50 foot extension cord.
Various flashlights, headlamps and puck lights.
AAA, AA & D Cell batteries.
Honda generator.
Battery charger.
I carry 3 deep cycle 1000 amp 12 volt batteries.
1000 watt inverter.
120 watt plug in inverter for my dash.
Fast orange hand cleaner.
2 fire extinguishers. One in the truck and one in the camper.
WD40.
Jumper cables
Flat repair kit.
Angle grinder and cutoff wheels in case I get behind a locked gate.
Cordless drill.
Hammer.
Flat pry bar.
Small carpenter's saw.
3 foot of 1.25 inch pipe. Good when I need some extra torque on a wrench.
8 ton bottle jack.
4 16 inch 2x10 reinforced with 3/8 inch plywood and assorted other pieces of 2x4 to aid in leveling and also to drive a flat tire onto to get the bottle jack under the axle. The earlier mention 3 feet of pipe also comes in handy for tire changes.
Two 1 gallon gerry cans and a funnel for the generator.
An 8x10 and a 10 x16 tarp.
Bungee cords.
2 tent poles.
A few pieces of old foam mattress. Good for stuffing in against things so they don't rattle around.
Tools as per your choice.
Hydraulic fluid for camper jacks.
Stove wire.
Sewing kit.
Cable ties.

And finally my special Scout knife. On one side it folds out to a knife, fork, spoon, saw, awl and compass. On the other side it folds out into a flint and steel, scissors, log cabin and 2 cords of firewood.

What do you find that is handy to have?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My fly fishing gear and fly tying items are always at the top of my list!

I already have pretty much the same items as yours; however this spring I'm buying a second RV, a truck camper (I have a 5th wheel now) so I'm in the initial phases of putting together some of the items I think I'll want to carry with me when I go in it.

I have one Honda generator now, but I may get a second. I'm also thinking of getting an extended run gas tank for it, and I've been looking at various types of dog tents to put the generator in to protect it when its running outside during inclement weather. My camper comes with a 95 watt solar panel, but I've yet to decide on the batteries I'll be getting. I hadn't thought of a solar shower, but I like your idea of having one.

Some of my camping will be in campgrounds that have electric hookups so I'll also be taking a surge protector with me - the type that hangs from the campground's electric pole outside the camper.

I also always have an extra key for the camper that I keep hidden on the outside of the camper lest I can't find my other key or lock myself out.

I also have an assortment of spare fuses, an assortment of spare water supply items (like a water flow restrictor, hose strainers and gaskets, and a spare water filter.)

John

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I spend about 8 months a year in my camper travelling around fishing and hanging out. I started making a list of the stuff that I carry with me more out of my own curiosity. As it's getting to be the time of year to think about venturing off beyond the Great Beyond, I thought I'd share it to possibly make others think about things that come in handy when you're not near a hardware store or Wal-mart.

Here's my list:

A handful of assorted hose clamps and some assorted copper in-line connectors and a few 16 inch pieces of assorted rubber hose in the sizes of your propane, water and drain lines.
4 small pinch clamps.
Clothes pins.
A spare lid for a milk jug and the jug holding your favoured beverage. Handy to have as I have learned when you accidentally melt the one it came with. Of course the alternative is to drink the contents.
Plumber's tape.
Teflon tape.
Red tuck tape.
Epoxy.
Wood glue.
Disposable gloves.
Work gloves.
Bolt cutters.
Spare boot laces.
FiberFix repair wrap.
I also have an epoxy based marine sealant that is suppose to be bullet proof but I fortunately haven't had to use it yet.
Putty knife.
Safety razor blades.
Shoe Goo.
Aqua-Seal
A couple of small battery powered fans to help dry out moisture in corners and cabinets.
3 personal flares.
Rubber coated flex tie - this comes on a small card you can find in the gardening section of discount stores. Great for wrapping up stuff.
An 8 inch level.
Folding swede saw.
Safety glasses.
A solar shower.
50 foot extension cord.
Honda generator.
Battery charger.
1000 watt inverter.
WD40.
Jumper cables
Flat repair kit.
Cordless drill.
Hammer.
Flat pry bar.
Small carpenter's saw.
8 ton bottle jack.
4 16 inch 2x10 reinforced with 3/8 inch plywood and assorted other pieces of 2x4 to aid in leveling and also to drive a flat tire onto to get the bottle jack under the axle. The earlier mention 3 feet of pipe also comes in handy for tire changes.
Bungee cords.
2 tent poles.
A few pieces of old foam mattress. Good for stuffing in against things so they don't rattle around.
Stove wire.
Sewing kit.
Cable ties.

And finally my special Scout knife. On one side it folds out to a knife, fork, spoon, saw, awl and compass. On the other side it folds out into a flint and steel, scissors, log cabin and 2 cords of firewood.

You should have titled this "what don't you carry in your RV/Camper"...

I second @MileHighFlyGuy. I carry the bare minimum I need to eat, sleep and fish....and a Visa card.

I'm not sure my truck could haul all that sh**.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Umm less than 10% of that; but I do carry fast drying food grade silicone and a first aid kit. I built a water bladder into my truck and what doesn't fit in the drawer beneath the mattress stays home. If I go with a bunch of folk we either rent a place or an RV.

·
Registered
653 Posts
When towing a 5th wheel or trailer I've always carried a spare set of inner/outer wheel bearings and seals. My current 5th wheel has neverlube hubs so for back-up I carry a complete hub and pressed bearing assembly. Been stranded in the past...never again. Don't forget the grease.

A heavy duty lug wrench with a cheater bar. A nut saver for tight nuts.

44 magnum super blackhawk

A tandem wheel tire changing ramp is sooo much more convenient than a hydraulic jack.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts

Here's my list:

4 small pinch clamps.
Clothes pins.
Plumber's tape.
Teflon tape.
Red tuck tape.
Epoxy.
Wood glue.
Disposable gloves.
Work gloves.
Bolt cutters.
Spare boot laces.
FiberFix repair wrap.
Putty knife.
Safety razor blades.
Shoe Goo.
Aqua-Seal
3 personal flares.
An 8 inch level.
Folding swede saw.
Safety glasses.
A solar shower.
50 foot extension cord.
Honda generator.
Battery charger.
1000 watt inverter.
WD40.
Jumper cables
Flat repair kit.
Cordless drill.
Hammer.
Flat pry bar.
Small carpenter's saw.
8 ton bottle jack.
Bungee cords.
2 tent poles.
Stove wire.
Sewing kit.
Cable ties.

Holy shit, after reading this list, I'm thinking we need to be looking at bigger TT's :D. 8 months a year traveling around fishing... how many on here have whispered that fantasy to themselves?

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts

Here's my list:

4 small pinch clamps.
Clothes pins.
Plumber's tape.
Teflon tape.
Red tuck tape.
Epoxy.
Wood glue.
Disposable gloves.
Work gloves.
Bolt cutters.
Spare boot laces.
FiberFix repair wrap.
Putty knife.
Safety razor blades.
Shoe Goo.
Aqua-Seal
3 personal flares.
An 8 inch level.
Folding swede saw.
Safety glasses.
A solar shower.
50 foot extension cord.
Honda generator.
Battery charger.
1000 watt inverter.
WD40.
Jumper cables
Flat repair kit.
Cordless drill.
Hammer.
Flat pry bar.
Small carpenter's saw.
8 ton bottle jack.
Bungee cords.
2 tent poles.
Stove wire.
Sewing kit.
Cable ties.

Wow....how big is your RV?? Where have you found where there isn't a Wal-Mart within an hours drive??

Here I can save you some space. Ditch the chainsaw and get a small electric saw. Run it off your generator. So far I have carried my electric chainsaw for two years and haven't used it once!!! It might go next.

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
I'm with mhg and jas. No camper (yet anyway), so I the tent a couple days and motel for a shower, repeat. I keep a "Go Box" with just enough stuff so I can make coffee easily and/or a D.Oven stew, but I hit restaurants much of the time. Cooler with drinks, Parawing, lawn chair, hammock, fishy gear, sometimes a walking set of sticks(7 to 9 golf clubs).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.