Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when the weather report call for 6 mph winds in the Gorge? I load up the pick-up and head east.
This is what greeted me when I arrived at 4pm.

My plan was to goof off for a few hours until the sun fell behind the mesa (that is usually when the top water action begins). I preparation for this, I threw my popper a few times to make sure my leader length was correct. I was going to be throwing my new worm hook poppers. On my second cast, I landed a 12" smallie. Things were looking good.

The fishing was fairly slow, so I switched to a streamer. The action was slow, but I was catching fish from time to time. Here is a 16" smallie I caught using a streamer a friend gave me.

I could not will the sun to go down faster, but it finally went below the mesa. I heard the dinner bell ring. I was getting strikes about every 3rd cast. The grey/white popper was performing flawlessly. I was throwing to the rip-rap and fishing the fly slowly out towards deeper water. All of the sudden, a fish jumped completely out of the water, and landed atop my popper. Fortunately for me, I paused briefly before setting the hook. After a tough fight, I landed the largest fish of the day. It was an 18" beauty.

Gene, this is a replica of the popper I sent you.

All in all, it was a great day on the water. The slight breeze left a chop on the water, and helped to keep me cool in the 94 degree weather. I managed to land 20+ smallmouth. It was by far my best trip of the year to date. I hope to make it out there again a couple more times before the season ends.

Regards

Shawn

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love it! Similar conditions out there today. Maybe I'll get to sneak out after the little one goes to bed...
I was using a Sage Smallmouth rod with 0X tippet. I also use a very small barrel swivel between my leader and tippet. It helps with line twist. The swivel does not interfere with the float-ability of my fly.

Regards

Shawn

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went out again yesterday. It was about 10 degrees hotter. I fished from 5pm to about 8:30. All the fish I landed were on the same popper I used the previous day. I had similar numbers as yesterday, but the fish were smaller. My largest fish was 14". It was worth the drive, but it sure was hot. Can't wait for my next outing.

Regards

Shawn

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Shawn, you know how I mentioned loaning the popper to my friend entering the bass tournament? I decided to give him one of the hard body poppers meant to mimic your hair bug instead and I'm keeping the hair bug for myself.

It's really so cool I think I'll probably just keep it with other patterns great fly tiers have sent me in the past.

Considering you were fishing in 94 degree weather with poppers, makes me wonder if I should try the reservoir for smallies on Saturday... before the motorboats and jet skis show up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.