Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dues past due
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be in Nome for a buddy's wedding for a week around August 7th. I'm planning to do as much fly fishing as I can, as long as it's daylight. :rofl: It seems there will be quite a few species to target.

If you know of suggested flies or spots any tourist shouldn't miss, drop me a line. For what it's worth, my lips are tight and my willingness to buy you a few beers and a burger in exchange for information is no secret.

Cheers

·
I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!
785 Posts
It's kinda a hole, but Grayling and Pike would be my targeted species around that time, you should be able to find many fish willing to play!

·
Outa here
1,155 Posts
Flesh flies and egg patterns if anything is running, attractors for everything else, it will be daylight all the time. And it's not kinda a hole, it is in fact a hole.

·
Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.
3,074 Posts
Jason,
I work on a drainage about 150 miles south of Nome. I will be up there during August. I've heard the Nome River follows a similar schedule to the river I work on (the Unalakleet). In early August the silvers should be running strong. Look in the sloughs and backwaters near the ocean on the lower sections of rivers for fresh silvers. The fall chum run, once endangered on the Nome river, is making a comeback. Those fish should be showing in early August as well. The pink run should be about over, with the majority of the pinks in full spawn. There are no rainbows that far north, but the arctic char and grayling will be piled in behind the pinks eating eggs. I prefer to fish beads rather than glo bugs in this situation because these fish will try to eat the fly deeply. Beads don't hook fish deeply when fished properly. I'm not sure how the pike fishing is around Nome, but if you find any lakes/sloughs that don't freeze solid during the winter, they should hold pike and lake whitefish. You will see some dark in August, but only about an hour and a half around 2am in the morning.

Bring some weighted pink flies on 2/0 saltwater hooks for salmon, and some eggs/beads for char and grayling. The grayling can be brought up to dries but when eggs are present they prefer them to any other meal. Also some large white, black, and chart. streamers for pike, about 4-6 inches long. Good luck.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Never fished there but I was grayling fishing with a local on the Chena in Fairbanks last week and he told me he takes a trip every year over to Nome around that time because the Dolly fishing is incredible. he also told me that those are all really Dollies and not arctic Char which he said technically are lake fish. Meant to do some research on that......

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,350 Posts
I have a book entitled Fishing Alaska by Evan and Margaret Swensen, it's a Falcon Guide book that has descriptions and directions to 15 rivers and a lake near Nome. You're welcomed to borrow it or I could Xerox the handful of pages and send them to you. Shoot me a PM, if interested.

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,350 Posts
I made a similar post on the AK version of this board and got a wonderful response directing me to a killer booklet : http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Static/Region3/PDFs/nome07.pdf

Yeah, I know it's daylight 24 hours a day, hence the sarcastic ROFL in the original post.

But flesh flies, that's helpful stuff. Thanks Guy!
Just looked at the booklet and my book contains pretty much the same info. The Maps are a little different and my book also has a Fish Availability chart the booklet doesn't. Not sure if it adds much to what you already have.

·
Dues past due
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damn Zen, thanks. And thanks for the offer Brookie.

Yeah, I'm stoked for Grayling. It sound like they'll eat about anything. They say if you can't catch a Grayling, you should stop fishing; I guess it's going to be one of those moments that has me assessing my progress in this world.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I heard that too but it wasn't the case a couple weeks ago. I did manage to catch about 16 in four hours but I wasn't having success as neither were the local boys and then I saw some caddis start to come off. Nothing was rising to the adults so I put on a caddis larva and then started hooking up. Not the hard hitting strikes I thought thye would be though. They would only take it on a decently presented drift and the takes were still subtle and hard to detect. This might be atypical but it was my experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.