Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mid-September, temperatures from 80-low 40/high 30's, 6000' elevation, Great Basin, spring creek with pretty constant 55 degree water. Should be lots of hoppers, dragons, scuds. What am I missing?

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mouse pattern? To late in the season for a fuzzy little yellow duckling pattern though:)
Absolutely, lots of muskrats. Hope to try some late eve's, Browns and Tigers as well as 'Bows. Took 2 Tigers last trip, 27 & 33", would be fun to see one take a mouse. LEO who checked my license told he'd taken a 36" Brown there.

·
BigDog
3,554 Posts
Small dries (BWO, flying ants, midges etc.) in size 16-20 and fine tippet. If they are being selective, hoppers and other big bugs (dragons, etc.) may not be effective. Besides, there's nothing quite like hooking large fish on small flies and light tippet. Notice, I said hooking... The landing can take lots of practice and not a little luck!
D

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Small dries (BWO, flying ants, midges etc.) in size 16-20 and fine tippet. If they are being selective, hoppers and other big bugs (dragons, etc.) may not be effective. Besides, there's nothing quite like hooking large fish on small flies and light tippet. Notice, I said hooking... The landing can take lots of practice and not a little luck!
D
True that, last trip I went 3 for 9 or something like that. 4x on wet, 5x on dries. Hard to go any bigger tippet with #16-18 flies.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Took 2 Tigers last trip, 27 & 33", would be fun to see one take a mouse. LEO who checked my license told he'd taken a 36" Brown there.
Mouse for sure! And as Richard said, dragons. With fish like that in there I would just sling mouse and dragon dries all day long. Big fish on dries potential always outweighs numbers and trying to finesse them all day. :D

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I have a small high lake the I can fish when the ice is off. The bonly thing they will hit is a Royal Wulff. I had a buddy ties me up some and they were a single wing. Those Cutthroat loved that fly. I tried others but the RW was just the ticket.

No info on what to use where you are fishing at.

On another note, I get a kick out of people asking when they come to Montana to fish. They ask what flies should I use. I've been here for 10 years now and I use the same flies that I used in Washington. They all work fine at certain times of the year.

I sure talk alot and say just about nothing. But it sure is fun.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
All of them. Only because I take my waist pack and their all in there anyway. Plus, it's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.